Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stronger starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018 | 08:13 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

Check that battery first starters need a good battery

Old 03-24-2018 | 08:15 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

My 2013 Limited has the ACR's so yours should too.

All above is good advice. Especially both ends of the battery cables. One thing I'd like to add that may or may not help. Make sure you press hard on the start button and don't let off until it's fully started. I had a similar issue and realized I was being a little light on the start button and also letting go before the bike was really started. It would hit once and I'd either let off too soon or not have it pressed hard enough, the starter would disengage and I'd get the kick back.

Good luck

Old 03-24-2018 | 08:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by doug62
Ok, here's what I have. A 2013 Ultra Classic, aside from a Stage 1 it is bone stock. The battery is brand new and the cables are tight. I'm pretty sure it has compression releases, please correct me if I am wrong. And yes, I do wait for the fuel pump to prime. It seems to do it only when the bike is cold by the way.
I know you say stock but is there a tuner? Try not letting the pump cycle, crank it right away when you turn the ignition on.
Oops! I see where you say stage 1... if it has ACR’s get them checked. Mine were added and oh wow , my starter thanked me...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 03-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2018 | 11:05 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

I'm with Notgrownup. I used the Harley's Pro Super Tuner recommended map with my stage 1 and got similar symptoms, hard cranking and the occasional backfire through the throttle body. After a little research I found the map I used had the ignition timing to far advanced for startup. It was a night and day change after I retarded the timing in the startup range. I can't remember the range exactly, lowest RPM, highest MAP I believe where the ECM looks for startup timing.

Old 03-24-2018 | 11:26 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

like post #8 miketd3 and everyone else. I got tired of trying things and replaced everything. bigger battery&cables, bigger starter, new clutch hud,primary chain...the list goes on a bit, things spins now

Old 03-24-2018 | 11:27 AM
brohoss
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

thanks for all the responses. i upgraded mine to a 103 w/ acr's a few years back. The button issue might be my problem. if she's been sitting awhile, I'll let it prime. daily start, press right away. Me thinks operator mental block is my cause. it sure sucks getting old. Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-24-2018 | 11:44 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master

To the OP:
Lots of good suggestions here, and it has been asked, but when you did the stage 1 did you have the ECM re-mapped?

Not only could the spark be off, but it was not uncommon for the Dealer's mechanic to forget to tun the ACR’s back on in the tune.

Old 03-24-2018 | 01:09 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brohoss
thanks for all the responses. i upgraded mine to a 103 w/ acr's a few years back. The button issue might be my problem. if she's been sitting awhile, I'll let it prime. daily start, press right away. Me thinks operator mental block is my cause. it sure sucks getting old. Thanks for the responses.
Are you sure the ACR's are working?

The following 2 users liked this post by Bingee:
67drake (03-24-2018), Calvin Hopkins (06-13-2021)
Old 03-24-2018 | 01:30 PM
brohoss
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Bingee
Are you sure the ACR's are working?
Hopefully they are. When i hit the button, there's a slight hesitation before the motor turns over. Would that be an indication their working?

Old 03-24-2018 | 04:24 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brohoss
Hopefully they are. When i hit the button, there's a slight hesitation before the motor turns over. Would that be an indication their working?
No I wouldn’t think so, I turn my ignition on and hit the button and it goes right away

Quick Reply: stronger starter motor?