Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018 | 08:24 PM
Oldpaps
|
Intermediate
Default What windshield?

Hey, got a new 2017 Street glide and have experienced tremendous head buffeting so that I cannot even think about hearing the radio. My question is, I am 5-8, and I want to be able to look over the windshield, but really need to eliminate or at least cut way down on the wind noise at hiway speeds. What brand should I look at? Been lookin at the Klock Werks 6.5 inch Flare or maybe a HD taller one? They both are pricey so I just need to know what anybody else thinks. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-19-2018 | 08:50 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

I am your height and have the same bike. So, I have gone through a few windshield. I had a knockoff 7in Klock werks it was worst one so far. I have a 10in shield now it’s okay. Just ordered a freedom shield 10in. We’ll see how that goes. I noticed buffeting went away when I put my hand over my head blocking it from the helmet which means the air hitting top of helmet was causing it for me. Also hug your knees against the tank that helps.

Old 03-19-2018 | 08:59 PM
wmprof
Road Master

I bought several different height shields from seller kelmanmotox on ebay. Very reasonably priced, decent quality and allowed me to find best fit without wasting a load of money.

I'm 5'6" and I run a 9" shield on my 2014 unLimited. See over just fine. I find a poor fitting helmet to be main cause of "buffeting"

Last edited by wmprof; 03-19-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2018 | 09:01 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

There are over 150 threads on buffeting in the Touring Section. Search and you'll get all the information you need and more.

Old 03-19-2018 | 09:10 PM
truejdm
Tourer

^^ Dude is right, but will through in my 2 cents. I'm 6'-6' 1". Had a LRS 8" and it was a hell of a lot better over stock. Picked up a 8" klockwerk knockoff for 18 bucks shipped, and I love it. For that price, I'd say you try it, depends how long your torso is. Look up the way to measure what size you need. Some people are name ****** and only believe in what cost the most. I believe in functionality.

Old 03-19-2018 | 10:31 PM
Jemezcrusher
Advanced

LRS recurve

Old 03-19-2018 | 11:47 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

LRS all day long and best bang for the buck. Frequent sales so get on emailing list unless you are in a hurry. Have only ever had one KW shield and buffeting was pathetic.

poor fitting helmet to be main cause of "buffeting" Really???

Old 03-20-2018 | 05:33 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldpaps
Hey, got a new 2017 Street glide and have experienced tremendous head buffeting so that I cannot even think about hearing the radio. My question is, I am 5-8, and I want to be able to look over the windshield, but really need to eliminate or at least cut way down on the wind noise at hiway speeds. What brand should I look at? Been lookin at the Klock Werks 6.5 inch Flare or maybe a HD taller one? They both are pricey so I just need to know what anybody else thinks. Thanks for any help!
Oldpaps, Search touring forum using the word "buffeting" like mentioned previously.
A correctly sized re-curve windshield will help. The company I deal with measures from the center mounting screw to the top of the windshield, their website shows how to measure for correct fit. I'm around 5'9" and can comfortably see over a 8" screen, 9" screen is also usable for me. Which seat you use, how long your torso is and how tall you sit in the seat with a backrest etc. can affect which size you need.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 03-20-2018 | 06:24 AM
Loose Nut
Advanced

Freedom shields is another one to look at. Brought one for my
2017 SG.

Old 03-20-2018 | 08:50 AM
Deckman
Road Captain

I have tried every shield that is out there, I currently have a LRS recurve 8" but without the Fangs on the forks I still had buffeting. I recently rode an 17 street glide and the buffeting was not as bad as my 07 without the Fangs. Try the recurve first but you may need the fangs, they make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: What windshield?