Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Toytech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heated grips

Ok so the news is not all positive. So plan "B" may be in order. any non HD heated grips of choice out there? MY old bikes had "HotGrip" brand on them. Always a 2 hour study on wiring and resistor placement. Then 20 minutes for the job. The problem with HotGrips is the grip is hard rubber. No squish at all. Fatigues the hand real fast.

Please keep the cards and letters comming folks
Toytech
59 days and counting

Old 02-06-2005, 11:18 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get on Ebay and search for them. There are some that velcro on and off with simple plugs to install. You can even hook up to cig lighter if wanted.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:49 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I just got the Harley heated grips on the new toy and so far (only 400 miles...damn Jersey weather!) they work great. But if they go bad I think I'll go with these:http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/
The Harley grips look great, but who can see them at 70?

Old 02-09-2005, 12:45 AM
investorsc
Road Master

Hey 05 Ultra-

GPS- on a Harley-

I would like to know more about what kind of unit you used and how it is mounted. Doubt I would go for it- but really did come in handy on our BMW K1200LTE.

BRUCE

[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 02-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Triple Z
Cruiser

Update (Feb 8-05):

Another set of H-D heated grips, a couple of months old, reported failed.
This time the failure mode is one we have not yet heard of...
Customer reports that the grips are hotter when set on "2", than when they are set on "6" (max).
Go figure???

These things are crap. Don't waste your money until H-D kicks some vendor *****.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Toytech
Tourer

This is what I like to see. Commentary and information. complacentcy (I think I spelled that correctly) gets zero results. Threads like this can and do make a difference. If harley is selling junk heated grips they need to know. If they don't care then we the buying public need to know that. I have seen forums make a difference on other vehicles. Harley Davidson are you listening?

There must be good quality alternatives in the market place. Grip wraps are a nice idea however they are thick and unatractive. So boys and girls lets hear about what you have for heated grips on your ride.

Ok my rant and rave is over for the moment.

Toytech
50 some odd days and counting.
The right wrist has developed a twitch.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
JoeVFR
Tourer

I see this thread hasn't been visited in awhile. Has anyone heard any update? I would like to put the heated grips on as I ride when its below 30 degrees! I'll probably go with the windshield first, but the grips would be a close second. Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Big Ted
Road Master

I've had heated grips on my bike from the day it was new. 2003. Bike has 11k miles on it now and they appear to still work fine. Just my .02 cents.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:30 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: investorsc

Went to our local HOG meeting last night- Had an interesting chat on heated grips. Several member all agreed that they do have a short lifespan of actually working. In summary- it seems you buy them, get another set of replacements under warranty- then just give up on any possibility of longevity. Any experience or thoughts?

BRUCE

I had a set on my 98 Low Rider and loved them (only had the bike for a little over a year).
Also had them on my 99 Electra Glide Classic. On that set the left grip stopped heating after about 2 years. Then, all of the foam started wearing off both grips. [sm=wtf.gif]

Replaced them with Kuryakyn ISOs. Don't think I'd ever use them again. Heavy duty gauntlet gloves do the trick for me now.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
wild1
Cruiser

I have had my grips on the bike since spring and put on 11k kms on them. They work great. I bought another set for the ol lady's suzuki and they have given us no trouble what so ever. As far as I am concerned they are the best grips out there. They are by far the best install so far out of any of the grips I have had with just the one set of wires coming out and the control in a nice spot instead of a big box somewhere like my last variable control.

Quick Reply: Heated grips