Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to install 21 in wheel on ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:26 PM
dafuzz89
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to install 21 in wheel on ultra

I have a 2013 Ultra and looking into installing a 21 in custom wheel. I hate the stock turbine looking one. My bike is non ABS, so is the wheel I'm looking at. a couple of questions for those that know. After mounting the rotors will the wheel be the right width or do some require aftermarket spacers to match the hub? Will this wheel fit in the stock fender or do guys change that out too? Thw wheel I'm looking at is 21x3.5 if that helps.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:10 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Watching this post as I'm replacing my stock 17" with a 19" Enforcer...

Old 03-17-2018, 04:18 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

I can't provide definitive answers as I'm in the process of upgrading myself, but I can tell you 21" w/120/70-21 tire should fit under fender okay, though it's highly recommended to tape a 1/4" nut to tire and spin to make certain there's at least that much clearance. If more clearance needed, my understanding is holes on fender can be drilled out slightly to provide slightly different mounting position. Total diameter is approx 2.5" more than stock combinations so lifts front end about 1.25" higher which changes steering geometry, adding trail and making low speed maneuvers slightly more difficult. Some lower front forks to compensate, while others seem to be happy as is. Difference re ABS is irrelevant; simply a different bearing installed in one side of wheel. Haven't heard of any issues or spacers necessary for rotors and didn't think to ask that question, so I hope to hell they line up...

Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I would recommend installing fender spacers. I’ve seen pics of fender damage from front tires rubbing or rocks running around the tire.
I installed a 21” on my flhx. Stock wheel spacers worked fine but sometimes you have to shift the bearings a little to center the wheel.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:57 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dafuzz89
I have a 2013 Ultra and looking into installing a 21 in custom wheel. I hate the stock turbine looking one. My bike is non ABS, so is the wheel I'm looking at. a couple of questions for those that know. After mounting the rotors will the wheel be the right width or do some require aftermarket spacers to match the hub? Will this wheel fit in the stock fender or do guys change that out too? Thw wheel I'm looking at is 21x3.5 if that helps.
I would suggest going to coastalmoto.com and look for their phone # on the site and give them a call. They installed one on my 2010 Street Glide several Daytona Bike Weeks ago, They can answer your questions for sure.

Good luck. Oh and have $$$$$ available for that wheel.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

The 21" wheels are popular with the King guys on here, and some have good luck with leaving the stock fender on. A buddy has a '12 King and he adjusted his stock fender a smidge (elongated the mounting holes). He can go back to a smaller wheel if he chooses, where a wrap fender looks good with one size.

My buddy runs Avon tires with a 120/70x21 up front. Overall diameter is 27.9", so compensate your forks accordingly with your current tire size.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Be ready for some significant handling issues when you do this. There might not be any that bother you. But don't get rid of the OE stuff until you are happy.

Just sayin'...

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Be ready for some significant handling issues when you do this. There might not be any that bother you. But don't get rid of the OE stuff until you are happy.

Just sayin'...
What about the handling of a 19" vs the oem 17"?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrecco
What about the handling of a 19" vs the oem 17"?
Got no idea, I've just observed some comments on the forum about guys who've gone to a different size...most 21's...and reported problems. On one of my former Harley's, I went from an OE sixteen front to a twenty one narrow front, and the handling went to hell in a handbasket. I was trying to achieve a certain look, so I thought this was a reasonable tradeoff at the time, and I learned to deal with it. But it's not always possible to have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

I hate to see a guy change to a 21", immediately get rid of his OE set up, and rue the day.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Changed the stock 19 front 16 rear to a 21 front 18 rear on my 2017 SGS, very happy with everything about the change.

Quick Reply: Wanting to install 21 in wheel on ultra