Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Tires- brand and bias v radial?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamin
My riding is 95% solo, conservative riding. The miles I put on are a mix of local pleasure riding and touring (interstate riding). I'm in Central California (no rain) and I don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught in it during a long-distance touring trip (again, solo).
I am also a fair weather rider, but occasionally encounter wet or damp coastal roads near SF.

The Dunlops AEs have been great, and I have zero hesitation in recommending them for your use case, which is very similar to mine although I do hustle my stripped down King through the backroads a bit.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Someone mentioned Avons. My GF and I both ride our Deluxes on them and they are very comfortable and quiet riding tires. Very nice grip on any type road, wet or dry.

We're close to you, as we sometimes do a breakfast in Solvang and then ride up the coast on our way to the wine country on a four day weekend.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

My 2011 FLHX came to me with 888s...I thought enough of them to replace with the same tire.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input, I appreciate it! At least I know I can't go wrong with whatever it is I choose. The tires on the bike are the Metzeler 880s but those appear to have been replaced by the 888s.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to completely overthink my tire selections so for what it is worth, I highly recommend the Dunlop Elite 3's. These are bias ply tires. Check out Jakewilson.com Also the Elite 4's are out. When I change my tires next time I might go with those.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM
pomeara
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from Metzlers to Avon and very happy I did. Best tires in the curves I have ever used.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:23 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamin
My riding is 95% solo, conservative riding. The miles I put on are a mix of local pleasure riding and touring (interstate riding). I'm in Central California (no rain) and I don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught in it during a long-distance touring trip (again, solo).
Either the Dunlop A/E, or the Mich CII's are good for that riding style. I had them both, but just went to Avon Cobras, since 90% of my riding is in the twisties.

Originally Posted by pomeara
I went from Metzlers to Avon and very happy I did. Best tires in the curves I have ever used.
Agreed 100%

Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Dunlop American Elites get my vote. Metzler had some really major issues with their tires on the heavy touring bikes in the past. I am not sure if all those issues have been flushed out.

Here is a link to a comparison between the AE's and the Commander two.
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...american-elite

Last edited by todd-67; 03-13-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

MIx radial and Bias ply if you want.. Find one you like, try different kinds... Call your local Indy shop or metric dealer, they might have a good deal for you... So many brands Avon, Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone just came out with the Battlecruise, Mettzeller 888 ...Higher mileage tires will be a harder compound, lower mileage will usually be softer compound... Give up something to get something else...
I have been it seems through all the choices except for Metzellers ... Elite III for me , I want to try the Elite IV and the new Bridgestone eventually but my tires are smaller than yours on my 07.
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

recently installed Metzlers on my 16 RGS, after a few 100 miles I will be replacing them. I'm a aggressive well experienced rider and this tire has skidded many times on dry road and slid out on me once. Soft tire handles better but wears faster don't give up handling for longevity. I will be going back to Dunlops in the spring.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Tires- brand and bias v radial?