Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Hot Sunglow paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Post some pics after you get it sprayed. Would be great to see how it turns out. I would love to be able to do this but spraying paint isn't one of my talents. Can do plenty of wrenching but that is where it stops.
Good luck!!!

Old 03-25-2018, 11:09 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I am really wanting some red hot sunglow hard bags now! If someone can figure out the paint matching, I'd be more than happy to pay you to shoot a set of bags for me!

Last edited by seanl; 03-25-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:27 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by criyi
Agreed, that's why I bought it.

I had my new topshop bags painted and every painter said the same thing, impossible to match, go to these guys.

http://www.cpvehicles.com/

They are just outside Milwaukee and do lots of work for Harley. I had them do it and they explained to me the color of the paint is only one factor, age of the paint, exposure to sun and cleaners is also a factor. They did my bags and used a side cover to match exactly. Can not say enough about how great of a job they did. It is dead on perfect!
I gave my painter my side cover and one original bag. It matches a lot closer than the inner fairing and tourpak that I ordered direct from HD. I'm going to definitely check out CPV's work though for my next bike. Thanks

Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
I had my Vivid Blk SG painted Kandy Concord - a 2010 CVO color, just picked up some parts and brought to the painter - he did 8 spray outs - each one had an additional coat of the candy color - each spray out got darker & darker - You should bring a painted part of your current bike & have your painter do the same - 8 spray outs of the candy till so you can find the best match
I gave him side cover and original bag. His spray out matched much better than the tourpak and inner fairing I ordered direct from HD

Old 04-07-2018, 08:53 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Finally had some time and wanted to do a spray out to see how many coats of candy will get me close to matching.

I cut some scrap metal, primed, and put 2 coats of base down. Then sprayed 1 -6 coats of candy, an shot 1 coat of clear over them.

I have to say the candy right out of the can looks eat Le, lol. What a pretty color.

The pics don’t really do the freshly sprayed color justice as you can’t see the metallic in the base. But once they are all dry, I will see what amount of candy will best match.

Going to wait to spray the bags until it’s warmer outside, as it’s down to 24° and snowing again. Even with a heated garage (doesn’t get super warm in there anyway) I like to spray when it’s a bit warmer out so I can open up the doors and vent out the overspray.

Damn old man winter just doesn’t want to leave.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Finally got my parts back from the painter and put back on. Color came out a perfect match the bike. I had the inner and outer fairing done and a new KW level fender painted.

Did the inner fairing in a two tone, Sunglow on the outside edge transitioning to black around the gauges. Not a real good picture but best I have right now.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:15 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Paint day. Did 3 coats of base, the magic number of candy seamed was 4 coats, and topped it off with 3 coats of clear. Now to let it dry for a good 24 hours before assembling. (That May be the hardest part, LOL)

Anyway, here are some pics.

Base coat

2 or 3 coats in on the candy

After coat 3 of the clear.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:25 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Finally got my parts back from the painter and put back on. Color came out a perfect match the bike. I had the inner and outer fairing done and a new KW level fender painted.

Did the inner fairing in a two tone, Sunglow on the outside edge transitioning to black around the gauges. Not a real good picture but best I have right now.
That came out great! How much did you end up paying for the job?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
That came out great! How much did you end up paying for the job?
Here is some better pics of the color match. I gave the painter the side cover (like someone else said here). The key is to find a good painter that knows what they are doing, these guys certainly did. The first painter I used a couple years ago on the inner didn't. Total cost for Outer, Inner, and fender, and buying the fender was $1500. That included pin striping the outer and the fender.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Got them reassembled and on the bike. The color is a little off, but I am very pleased, way better than vivid black.

As some of you stated, red hot sunglo is the hardest color to match, and even when people get painted parts from the MOCO, that it is off a little. Need to let the cure a bit longer the I will wetsand and polish.

Anyhow, her are some pics of the finished product.

Quick Reply: Red Hot Sunglow paint