Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if you take your bike to a dealer and leave it over night, i highly doubt they take the bike for a ride to let it warm up. i would think cold oil changes are the norm at the dealers.

The following 2 users liked this post by bagga:
M Oclaf (06-01-2022), smitty901 (06-07-2022)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:05 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 269 Posts

Also, something to remember, when I am done with my oil change I do not always clean up the pan immediately. What I typically do is pour the pan of oil into my 5 gallon vacuum oil changer I use for changing my boat oil. After dumping the pan I hang it from a wire over a funnel on the mouth of the said jug. After sitting like this for an overnight that pan is pretty clean. I do not see a lot of reason to worry that leaving the plug out overnight does not produce the same results on the inside of the oil pan sump.

My personal opinion is that the hot or warm oil change is a process that was NEEDED when oil was a fixed viscosity and flowed horribly slow unless it was hot. Now that we have 5W-20 and even 0W-20 it makes it appear that it flows BETTER cold.

Most of the reason for changing the oil at a specific time in a modern engine is based on the condition of the additive package. A good drain and fill with fresh oil is sufficient. The metal flakes and other junk are still in suspension in the oil in the pan as evidence by the stuff in the pan.

Last edited by dceggert; 03-12-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

Guys - you're not thinking this through for the particular engine. Comments like leaving the plug out overnight are unrealistic as well as referencing 0W-20 oil in a Harley.

The engine should be run on the jiffy stand for at lest a minute to fully scavenge the crankcases. There is a pick up port in the cases that the return gerotors is exposed to when the engine is tilted on the stand.

Also, if you had a Softail and did not run the engine, you can wind up with a seriously over-filled engine due to oil pump design and the necessity of running the engine to return the oil to the tank that gravity bled through the pump into the crankcases.

Getting the engine oil warm obviously makes it drain faster and also gives it a chance to do it's job and suspend any contaminates.

Do yourselves a favor - if you want to sit there and wait a long time for cold oil to drain that's cool, at least run the engine on the jiffy stand for a minute before draining it as the manufacturer states to do so you get it all out.

Personally, I'll warm mine up. Not nuclear hot - just warm.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
andrew12901 (04-18-2024), Yamaharley (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, Ed, I now see why people avoid talking about oil. Too easy to take things out of context. From now on I too will entirely avoid the subject...entirely.

It amazes me though the level of attention spent in the forum on what the 'proper' oil and tires should be (not directed at you) but neglect of brake fluid and other needed maintenance.

My Dad used to tell me never to talk about religion or politics at parties...I suppose that extends to oil, tires, headlight bulbs.... Sounds like great advice...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dceggert
Well, Ed, I now see why people avoid talking about oil. Too easy to take things out of context. From now on I too will entirely avoid the subject...entirely.

It amazes me though the level of attention spent in the forum on what the 'proper' oil and tires should be (not directed at you) but neglect of brake fluid and other needed maintenance.

My Dad used to tell me never to talk about religion or politics at parties...I suppose that extends to oil, tires, headlight bulbs.... Sounds like great advice...
It's not about oil as much as a proper procedure. The reason I emphasize allowing it to run on the jiffy stand is that the result is an unintentional overfill which results in excessive oil carryover into the breathers until the system finds equilibrium. That plus unintentionally leaving dirty oil in the engine. Most people don't think that far down the line.

Having seen Softails with 6 quarts in them on numerous occasions, I can tell you it's not something you want to see once the tank can't take any more return oil.

As the M8's come out, they may have different instructions on how to change the oil. I have not read that manual so I cannot comment.

One key thing is - manufacturers instruct on a procedure to ensure the maximum amount of old oil is removed and the procedure varies from engine to engine.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chuck1
After I though about it, most must does drain out of filter after months sitting. I have heard bike clatter a few seconds after setting long time, oil filter drains back.
It clatters because a lifter was on a cam ramp and the lifter bled down. The oil filter does not keep pressure on the lifters. That also happens badly to people who trailer it in gear.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
M Oclaf (06-01-2022), smitty901 (06-07-2022)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,646 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck1
After I though about it, most must does drain out of filter after months sitting. I have heard bike clatter a few seconds after setting long time, oil filter drains back.
It drains forward, not backwards. The oil in the filter gradually drains through the bearings and such of the engine, out the lowest point. It will drain down until the oil level in the filter (and upstream) is at the lowest level of the boss the filter threads onto.

You don't experience this with a hot oil change because not enough time has taken place for the oil to drain down. Let the engine sit for an hour or two and you may.

You can sorta see it here in this picture of the oil flow through the filter.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:49 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,802 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Lot of non reading or comprehension, dude said it's sat for months...when he put new oil in, it was not higher. No one mentioned gravity, it's not going anywhere. An engine sits, gravity will ensure it's at the lowest point regardless of temperature. End of the day, to each their own. He relays his experience and it's not wrong anymore than "your" way is right. And lastly, the filter is there to contain the "contamination" that results. Running the engine to operating temperature isn't going to get more suspended contaminants out?? That's in the filter. Unless you have never changed oil and if that's the case being warm or cold isnt going to matter. My .02, Peace!

The following users liked this post:
Jshopes (06-05-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 10:20 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,207 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
Lot of non reading or comprehension,
The irony. Last post was over 4 years ago

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
dajogejr (06-03-2022), hattitude (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 05:38 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
The irony. Last post was over 4 years ago
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Cold Oil Change