Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jms or hog pro speakers for 2005 roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: jms or hog pro speakers for 2005 roadglide

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

If anyone has the Hogtunes in mah neck o' the woods, it'd be great ta git together with some other folks for a listenin' evaluation against mah J&M's!!

How 'bout it - any of ya'll in the New Braunfels, TX area???
Lets do it George!

I'm interested to know also.I don't have an Ultra so I'm not sure how My 2 speakers will compare to Your 4 but it would be nice to hear the difference.I know both companies make great speakers and we all want the best.If Yours sound better,You have to pay for half of My new JM'S because I'm gonna be broke when I get back.I'm leaving for Colorado Tomorrow so it will be a couple weeks before we can do it.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz
If Yours sound better,You have to pay for half of My new JM'S because I'm gonna be broke when I get back.I'm leaving for Colorado Tomorrow so it will be a couple weeks before we can do it.
huh? Excuse me? Do ah look lahk some dimbulb dumb 'nuff ta head down the road when the skies are black with thunderheads, an' me with NO rain gear?!?? Only someone that dumb would agree with sumthin' that dumb....

Oops.....

Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz
If Yours sound better,You have to pay for half of My new JM'S because I'm gonna be broke when I get back.I'm leaving for Colorado Tomorrow so it will be a couple weeks before we can do it.
huh? Excuse me? Do ah look lahk some dimbulb dumb 'nuff ta head down the road when the skies are black with thunderheads, an' me with NO rain gear?!?? Only someone that dumb would agree with sumthin' that dumb....

Oops.....
You're officially on My chit list!!

Real bikers aint skeerd of no friggin rain.................plus I aint quite right in the head LOL.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I was told that the radio was a 4 ohms, not 8ohms. My understanding is that most aftermarket speakers are 8 ohms. That's why the stock radio would overheat/shut down because it has to work twice as hard to power the 8 ohm speakers. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But, I called the company that made those Harley radios, and that's what a technician told me.

Side Note: I'm in the process of changing the stock radio for a Sony conversion kit from Biketronics. So, I'm anticipating this problem going away soon.

Thanks!

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

Rider ,,,,,,

whichever brand you decide upon, it is important for the 1998-2005 Harley audio systems that the speaker resistance be at least 7-8 ohms as measured with an ohm meter ,,,,, as this affects the amount of current going thru the radio's amplifiers and how much heat is produced ,,,,

some get away with less resistance than this without problems, but the Harley radio for those years is spec'd for a speaker resistance of 8 ohms and amplifier shut-down/failures can occur with speaker resistance significantly less than that ,,,,,

certainly I promote the J&M's,for obvious reasons ,,,, all of which I have posted here many times before ,,,,

,,,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Kahuna ,,,,

if my memory is correct, a company called Radio Sound Inc from KY was Harley's vendor forthe radio system used on 1989-2005 Harley Dressers and Ultras ,,,,,

the radio/amplifiersfor 1989-1997 Harleys were rated to handle a minimum speaker impedance of 4 ohms ,,,,,,, the radio/amplifiers for 1998-2005 Harleys were rated to handle a minimum speaker impedance of 8 ohms ,,,, the new Harmon Kardon system on 2006-2008 Harleys is rated to handle a minimum speaker impedance of 2 ohms ,,,,,,,

and as I stated in my post above, the lower the speaker impedance or DC resistance, the more actual current flows thru the amplifier circuits, the more power in watts is producedand thegreater amount ofheat is generated ,,,,,,

The post on this thread above from Thundercloud is a good example of what I am talking about ,,,,, he used Hog Tunes speakers labled at 5.75 ohms I believe, for his 2005 Road Glide and had problems with the music cutting in and out, presumedly because of amplifier overheating, and had to go with the 8 ohm spec'd J&M speakers (actually 7.2 ohms) to get rid of the problem ,,,,,,

and I am frankly surprised that more riders don't have these kinds of troubles, as the last pair of HogTunes speakers that I measured,, labled 5.75 ohms ,,,, actually measured 3.7 ohms, which is less than half the impedance load the1998-2005 radios aredesigned for ,,,,, but the last time I brought this up on this veryboard, I about got shot ,,,,,

so from my point of view, that is the real skinney ,,, and I don't want to sound like a know-it-all on this ,,,, but I have owned a new Harley Ultra every year since 1989 ,,,,, and have been selling J&M speaker upgrades for them since 1990 ,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 06-21-2007, 03:00 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

Three weeks ago I put Hogtunes in my SG and I have no problems with them, they sound great and are a big improvement over stock.
A day later I rode over to my local wrenches shop and his girlfriend has an 06 SG with J&M's. She had no other mods to the radio. We parked near each other and put on the same radio station. 98.7 the Gator

In the end J&M's took it. The built in tweeter did it. It was a noticeable difference over Hogtunes.
I am very happy with my Htunes and have no intention of buying J&M's. If you need something louder than Htunes then get your hearing checked. With my RH TD pipes I can still hear the radio even at half volume.

OTB

Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very happy with my Hogtunes and I'm sure which ever speaker you go with will be much better then stock.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
KirbyBGSU
Stage IV

Is there anywhere you can buy the JM speakers besides online?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Kirby ,,,,,,

The entire range of J&M high performance speaker upgrades for 1989-2008 Harly Ultras, Classics, RoadGlides and StreetGlides are distributed by Drag Specialties and TuckerRocky to the USA dealer network from Coast to Coast ,,,,,

Your dealer should easily be able to purchase these speakers from one of those distributors for installation on your bike ,,,,,,

and if they are confused as to what to order, have them send me an e-mail and I will set them all straight ,,,,,,

we appreciate very much your business ,,,,,, JMJOHN ,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen them on display in several HD dealerships........

Quick Reply: jms or hog pro speakers for 2005 roadglide