Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exposed filter element

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Exposed filter element

Is this a problem in the rain? I don't stop and sit at underpasses, I don't even put on Japanese leathers (rain suits). If this is an all show but no go mod, I'll have to skip it. I do like how it looks.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Exposed filter element

I was thinking about going this route also and had asked the same question. Most people told me it wasnt a problem while running down the road but if you park to cover it up.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It does help the motor breath better and make more power; in part because it gets cooler air than the other high air flow alternatives that cover the filter element andpull the air from the area around those hot cylinders. The drawback is that the element will get soaked in a heavy rain. My friend has one on his 100+/100+ HQ 95" build, '06 EGC and carries the football a/c cover in a saddlebag to use if he gets caught in the rain.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can give you is a personal experience. I have the stage 1 on my Dyna and the stock cover doesn't cover the oversized air filter, so some is exposed. I got caught in a downpour on my way home. It was only 10 miles so I thought I'd go for it. Heavy rain, cars were putting up rooster tails. I'm cranking along at about 60 on a 4 lane hwy and bike bucks once, twice and quits. I'm in traffic, poor visibility for cagers and i'm dead in the water so to speak. I coast to the side of the road and try to restart it. No go I have to keep twisting the throttle and finally the bike starts, sputters and finally I'm rolling again. Get about another mile, cuts out again. This time I get it started I get off hwy, get to a bar and sit the storm out. Called dealer that afternoon and he says "your bigger air cleaner was sucking water and killed the engine. gotta be carefull in those downpours." Yeah, no Chit My choice is to not have the element exposed at all if possible. I like the way the small round air covers look but that totally exposed filter makes me cringe. JMHO

I guessI should have mentioned from the start that my bike is carbed I think that makes a big difference.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Ravens35
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exposed filter. It's probably an all show and no go mod, but it isn't anexpensive one. I haven't had any trouble in the rain, but I've yet to do over 50 miles in the heavy rain with it. I have lowers, and my legg naturally rests right over the AC. That's almost as much protection as the ugly football provides.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a K&N PreFilter that I carry or just use on road trips.

Since my Geralomy air filter is totally exposed, the prefilter (very much like OuterWears for racecars) will deflect a good amount of rain water and helps "minimize" the effects of water saturated air filter(s). While it's not perfect, it is certainly acceptable. And...... I got a BLACK one!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

My personal experience: I have a Ness Big Sucker - and got rid of the football cover for a simple round cover on the top - so my element is completel exposed now. Just a couple weeks ago I was at Ohio Bike week and we got hit by torrential downpours for about 45 minutes. My bike was parked during thisand when I went out to start it up - it DID start right up. Sounded like it migh've been a little on the rough side for a couple minutes- but I rode out just fine on it & proceeded to ride in about 100 miles of more rain back to Cleveland from Sandusky - and it was fine thewhole time. Can't say I fared too well - and thing felt a little squirly on my rear tire more than a few times - but - we had to make it back home for a Cav's playoff game

I think most problems with exposed elements in raidmay come from carb bikes vs EFI, which is what I have.

For what its worth - I always cover it with a bag when I was it as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

My Wimmer Dual Runner has cotton filters and living in Florida rain is always an issue. I have been caught twice in downpours so heavy I couldent ride. I had to leave it out in the rainone time and let the filters dryand the other I simply slipped on my rain socks over the filters that I got from Wimmer, kept going after it let up a bitand had no issues. If it looks like it's going to rain I put them on. It still allows air in but keeps most if not all the water off the filters.

Wimmer also makes "waterproof" filters.

OTB

Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
05FLHTI
Advanced

I have a Ness Billet Sucker which is completely exposed and have ridden in hard rain with no problem. You put oil on the filter and I suppose that helps to keep the water out of the EFI. Also, I have an FLHTI so the fairing keeps water away from the air filter as long as you are moving.

Ride safe!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful. Al Gore might get you for indecent exposure.

Quick Reply: Exposed filter element