Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing heated grips - 2011 Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more question: Why would these grips need 2 power sources?

1. to B+ connector
2. to accessory power

I am confused to say the least..........

Old 03-15-2018, 04:43 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And.....1 more question. On the right heated grip, Contoured chrome and rubber heated grip part # 56100257. Mine came with the chrome cap on the right side already installed. (used). how does that cap come off? Screw off or just pull off?

Thanks again!!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:39 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

only one hour labor charge at my local dealer to replace my grips... for 150 bucks total are you kidding me ? they would probably charge a little more for new ones but......some things i would just rather pay someone else to do then wearing myself out over... just sayin... call a few dealers

Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

First, the end cap on the right grip pulls off.
Unless you have strong fingernails, get something like a feeler gauge under it (so as not to mar it) just enough to get a small screwdriver in between. Inside there you should see a cap in the center of the twist grip sensor if it hasn’t already been removed. Just grab that with a set of needle nose pliers and pull it out. (I believe the instructions tell you to pry the cap with a screwdriver.) The right grip will plug into where that cap came out. If you see two small holes then the cap has already been removed.

The wires connecting the left and right grip both go through the bars and connect at the center where the bars are clamped. You have to install the left side. My year bike did not come with the wire connecting the (right side) twist grip sensor down to the center of the bars for the heated grips, but looking at a parts breakdown yours does. So when you pull the fairing off, look for the unused two wire plug at the center of the bars. If it is there you won’t have to pull the twist grip sensor and fool with that stupid green plug that is inside the right side of the bars!

The main power harness that comes from the left grip is supposed to be run outside the bars.

As for the power, not sure, but I believe the B+ is the power for your heating elements, the other wire signals the grips when the bike is on so it doesn’t draw power with bike off.

Very Important! Do not forget to insert something under the brake lever (as described in instructions)
Failure to do so will require you to replace that little tiny switch underneath there. I use the end of a wire tie.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 03-15-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
SpikeON
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IKnowNot has a great write up above. Just a couple of comments to add.
My 09 ultra had a wire (black I think) coming out of the throttle sensor and was terminated with a wire heat shrink wrap. If I remember correctly I had to cut the shrink wrap off and connect one of the power wires from the left grip. This black wire is what feeds power to the two small holes on the outboard side of the sensor that the right grip plugs into.
I hope on later models that this connection has been made easier.
The second comment I have is that there is a trigger wire that get connected to the fuse box on the left side of the bike. (same area as the MAXI fuse)
I installed mine back in 09 and they are still working. Grips are just about worn out and I am looking to replace soon.