Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 PM
SilverStreak15
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Brake Chatter

Had new Performance Machine front wheel and rotor installed. Brake pads were not changed and are stock. Now when applying front brake the brakes chatter. Anyone had the same problem and a solution? Can rotors be installed wrong? Thank you in advance?

Old 03-07-2018, 04:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Start by cleaning your rotors and pads. There may be grease marks that can cause what you describe. If that doesn't work stop being a skinflint and fit new pads! By all means check that the rotors are fitted the correct way, although I can't see that being the problem.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:36 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Fwiw, I've currently got some EBS pads and stock rotors, which chatter and pulse gloriously. Cleaning and burnishing have done nothing for this. If I switch to an alternative set of rotors and the chatter and pulsing goes away. I'd leave it at that, but the alternative rotors are noisy and make my bike sound like a deranged cicada whenever I'm stopping. So, it seems to be a stock rotor issue, at least on my bike.

I have not switched the stock rotors to a backwards mounting (right rotor on the left side). I have heard that Harley actually already did this. The story being that the current mounting is reversed from the originial design (reversing the stopping forces through the doglegs of the rotor). Supposedly to help reduce brake chatter and pulsing.
I do not know if this story is true or not. Regardless, it is an option and one I have not tried yet.