Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018 | 06:17 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I've got a 98 road king with 90k on it that shifts like butter. As I was reading the responses in this thread, I was going to suggest you check your primary chain tension. I don't know anything about automatic tensioners but It sounds like yours could be too tight. I would also pull the clutch plates and fibers for a service. Clean, inspect, replace, and adjust. Lastly, I put 1 qt of Amsoil primary fluid in the primary. Your bike should take exactly the same amount. You don't have to go with Amsoil, that's just what I use. If this maintenance doesn't work, you might brace yourself for some transmission issues.

Keep us posted.

carl
Also good advice. Can act the same as a sticky clutch. OP, it occurred to me after you described how you had to free up your clutch that it still may not releasing all the way. If so, I'm not too certain that there's any better way to fix that other than replacing the plates. It' a pretty easy and quick job.

Old 03-06-2018 | 07:20 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain

After I did that plates stuck together to the point of selecting a gear would cause the bike to go or die. I finally just revved the bike and dropped it in gear.
That's just about the definitive symptom of a clutch plate problem.

Old 08-26-2018 | 12:36 AM
wildhorse629
|
Novice

Finally tore down the clutch pack and discovered the issue. Some of the brass rivets on the spring plate in the kittle of the clutch pack popped out. The springs expanded and the rivets dragged so no matter how much I adjusted it just wasnt going to work right. Replaced it with and extra plate clutch pack and it now shifts great and grabs like it should. Thanks for all the advice.