Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honest feedback on tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:59 AM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

I ran em on my 2000 Road King for awhile. The front is lasting forever, it seems like. The rear was done in about 4500 - 5000 miles. Excellent handling and traction in all conditions while they were in good condition. Running an Avon Cobra on the rear now. Also excellent traction, and it seems to be lasting a long time.

THe thing about wear is, once you're past the halfway point, seems like the handling and traction get worse rapidly, especially under bad conditions - rain, rough roads, etc.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

The guys that slam Shinko's are the guys that have never run them.
They are the guys that will belly up to the Harley parts counter to buy an overpriced HD Dunlop and think they are getting the best because it costs the most.
Shinko's are not a "cheap" tire, they are a relatively inexpensive but decent quality tire. I've run a number of 777's and a couple of Tour Masters, they do everything well and have never needed excessive weight in order to balance them.
They are not a high mileage tire though. Tires are hard enough to change on a touring bike so I choose a longer lasting tire for my RK. If Shinko made a 777 or Tourmaster that fit my Honda PC I'd buy a set next time I needed them.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:03 PM
.:eMETAL:.
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently running the 777HD on my 03 RK and have no gripes. Put them on last spring/summer tubeless with balancing beads and they run true. I've forced them into cracks and they don't wander and run straight over them. I especially like how sticky they are in the corners, I can lean the bike much more with these. Can't say the same for my experience running dunlops as they always felt like they'd let loose. In fact, I even ditched the dunlops when I was riding my Yamaha R1 for a stickier continental. I'm just not impressed with dunlops at all so anything is better in my opinion.

True these were a budget minded purchase but I found lots of good feedback on them including local riders I met who were running them or had run them previously on other bikes.

We'll see what mileage I get from them but for now I have positive real world feedback and can say I'd recommend them.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,951 Likes on 19,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
They are the guys that will belly up to the Harley parts counter to buy an overpriced HD Dunlop and think they are getting the best because it costs the most.
Shinko's are not a "cheap" tire, they are a relatively inexpensive but decent quality tire. I've run a number of 777's and a couple of Tour Masters, they do everything well and have never needed excessive weight in order to balance them.
They are not a high mileage tire though. Tires are hard enough to change on a touring bike so I choose a longer lasting tire for my RK. If Shinko made a 777 or Tourmaster that fit my Honda PC I'd buy a set next time I needed them.
They are the guys that will belly up to the Harley parts counter to buy an overpriced HD Dunlop and think they are getting the best because it costs the most
... Well now, aren't you an expert on what other people do. I'm on my 68th trip around the sun, been in 46 of the 50 states and have well over a half a million miles under my belt. My opinion, backed up with a picture of the last encounter by the way was based on facts, not from stories I heard while waiting to spend all my money at the HD Parts counter. I've seen several Shenko's come apart. No thanks. No way.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

I see lots of guys trash Dunlops but they never say what ones as there are several models and there not all created equal. I'm guessing most arn't referring to the American Elites , more like the 401's or 402's .

Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM
.:eMETAL:.
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
I see lots of guys trash Dunlops but they never say what ones as there are several models and there not all created equal. I'm guessing most arn't referring to the American Elites , more like the 401's or 402's .
for me yes you’re correct with the 401s and 402s and whatever came stock on my 05 R1 back then. Only knew I didn’t like them and looked for a stickier outer for cornering.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:53 PM
paddywagon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my Road King it had American Elites on it, the front was toast at about 6K and a belt in the rear broke not too long after that. put Metzlers on after that and wasn't really as happy with them as I remember being in the past on lighter bikes. I traded it in on the Road Glide before it needed the Metzlers replaced. The Glide came with factory tires, when I needed tires a buddy had won a set that he couldn't use/didn't need so he gave me those. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with them, but I wouldn't pay the well over 300 a piece Harley is asking.
When the listing for the wheels said with tires, I figured it would be the American Elites or some other major brand, so I didn't factor into the budget (which I'm already well over) another set of tires. I've never known anyone who's run a Shinko, and never even really had them on the radar until they wound up on my front porch...hence the question.

Last edited by paddywagon; 03-05-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

A Harley dealer is the last place I would buy tires , they are always the highest priced by a big difference when I price tires , the also sell special HD branded Dunlops and Michelins for big money.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:47 PM
paddywagon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I hadn’t planned on buying tires there for my bike, we have to purchase all our parts for the bikes at work through them, so I know what they charge

Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Pal of mine went for many years without changing tyres - he simply traded bikes when the time came to get new ones......

Quick Reply: honest feedback on tires