Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 AM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Helmet Buffeting

I have a 2012 FLHTK and am having problems with buffeting that I believe is coming from over the top of the standard windshield. I am a tall person, about 6' 2" and sit fairly tall thanks to the rider backrest. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. The stock 12" shield and I get some buffeting.
2. A LRS 11" recurve and get some buffeting and look right through the top edge of the shield. It is tinted and I find that I prefer the clear shield.
3. A LRS 10" recurve and I look over it Like I am suppose to and the buffeting is the worst of all of these shields so far.

LRS gave me a good discount on a 14" recurve that I am going to try to see if looking through their shield helps the buffeting.

I additionally have a 13 inch non curved shield from EBay on order to see how that works. Cheap but may be effective.

I wear a 3/4 helmet all the time I ride as years ago I went down fairly hard and the helmet saved my head from serious injury. I do not ride without a skid lid.

Anyone else my size height wise have good luck with a shield that stops the buffeting on a batwing fairing? I had a 15 inch Harley tall shield years ago on the 09 Ultra I had at that time and it was pretty good, however I prefer not to look through a shield, but I may have no choice but to go back to the 15 inch shield.

Has anyone tried a small shield, like 3 or 4 inch and does that put you in a steady wind or is that not good either for someone my height?

And I see they make deflectors now for the glides with lower fairings too, however I think the most turbulent air is coming over the top of the shields I have, not from below.

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies and suggestions!
Phil

Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 379 Likes on 201 Posts

Do you think that the possibility exists that you may be chasing the wrong cause to your head buffeting by buying all these windshields? I'm really not trying to be a smartazz here and hope someone with the same ride and build can help

Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I have run a bunch of LRS shields on my bikes and never a buffeting issue. The closest I can come to your setup is my Road King. I have an LRS stock shield replacement and works great. But I also have a Memphis Shades fairing with an LRS shield. I look well over both and zero buffeting. Does your 3/4 helmet maybe have a visor that is catching air? Sorry, that's all I can think of but maybe after a bit more coffee...

Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I really don't think your buffeting is coming over the top....

Old 03-03-2018, 07:02 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,646 Likes on 686 Posts

Crazy idea - try removing the windshield. It's free, so why not? Worked on my road glide, which is completely different but still

Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Phil, the 12 inch shield on my 2015 Ultra works for me. I had to change from the 10 inch stock shield. I don't know what year HD changed from the 12" stock to the 10". The new one was also about an inch wider on both sides, and I think that is what reduced the helmet buffeting for me.
Could you see if the HDshop has one you could test ride?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:45 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Run a lot of different bikes over the years, with lots of different windshields/fairings. Pretty much any time I'm looking over it, my head is getting rattled.

Some has to do with my helmets. I like a visor on it, which tends to catch air. I also run open faced (no face shield), which also catches the air.

In many states if your fairing/windshield is tall enough, you don't need to have a faceshield on your helmet or wear glasses. Most of the time, this is my preference.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

The fork fangs worked for me, I have them on two FLHTK's. They say they will not work with lowers but with some slight bending they work just fine.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...20-57400146--1

Old 03-03-2018, 08:04 AM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am chasing the same problem. 3 diferent height windshields and still have buffeting. It was suggested by Red ,that I try the fork deflectors. That will be the next thing I try. I have also noticed that my full face helmet does not get buffeted around. However my 3/4 does . I may try a different 3/4 helment.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,238 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I got buffeting wearing a full-faced helmet no matter which shield I tried. So, rather than spend more money on shields, I installed these, which have eliminated 80% of buffeting on my '14 Limited.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/cool...dk-cdw-trg.htm

Quick Reply: Helmet Buffeting