Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 AM
cash64
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m 6’3” with 32”inseam. Ride an FLHXS. LRS 11” Javelin fixed problem for me. Not a fan of look on Street Glide so also use 8.5” Klock Werks. KW causes wind to hit just at hairline, LRS up and over the head. Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Buck05
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm 6' 3" w/ a 32" inseam and I ride with a 1/2 helmet On my 2018 FLTHK, I replaced the stock windshield with the HD batwing fairing 15 in. windshield No buffeting. Even when I'm riding in 45 deg. weather, I don't need to wear a face mask.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:12 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Phil,
I've tried EVERYTHING available to stop helmet buffeting. Read the other threads on the subject first before wasting more money experimenting. I can tell you for sure, the two things that do the most to reduce buffeting are a properly sized recurve windshield and lower leg wind deflectors (fangs).

Good luck,
Mike

Old 03-03-2018, 02:39 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I will admit that I didn't read all the responses, but this could be the best $30 you spend to reduce buffeting -https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/front-fork-air-baffle. I had one on my 08 SG and on my 2012 Limited. Air coming up from underneath also causes buffeting.

Originally Posted by Phil_R
I have a 2012 FLHTK and am having problems with buffeting that I believe is coming from over the top of the standard windshield. I am a tall person, about 6' 2" and sit fairly tall thanks to the rider backrest. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. The stock 12" shield and I get some buffeting.
2. A LRS 11" recurve and get some buffeting and look right through the top edge of the shield. It is tinted and I find that I prefer the clear shield.
3. A LRS 10" recurve and I look over it Like I am suppose to and the buffeting is the worst of all of these shields so far.

LRS gave me a good discount on a 14" recurve that I am going to try to see if looking through their shield helps the buffeting.

I additionally have a 13 inch non curved shield from EBay on order to see how that works. Cheap but may be effective.

I wear a 3/4 helmet all the time I ride as years ago I went down fairly hard and the helmet saved my head from serious injury. I do not ride without a skid lid.

Anyone else my size height wise have good luck with a shield that stops the buffeting on a batwing fairing? I had a 15 inch Harley tall shield years ago on the 09 Ultra I had at that time and it was pretty good, however I prefer not to look through a shield, but I may have no choice but to go back to the 15 inch shield.

Has anyone tried a small shield, like 3 or 4 inch and does that put you in a steady wind or is that not good either for someone my height?

And I see they make deflectors now for the glides with lower fairings too, however I think the most turbulent air is coming over the top of the shields I have, not from below.

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies and suggestions!
Phil

Old 03-03-2018, 02:46 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

For my previous 15' limited, the coorect windshield, fork fangs(like others have mentioned) plus the Kuryakyn Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflector helped quite a bit. I was actualy pretty amazed just how much they all helped with buffeting. The Kuyakyn defelector really helped with the wind coming through the forks, over the tank and into my face/head.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:44 PM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bike_r_trash
I will admit that I didn't read all the responses, but this could be the best $30 you spend to reduce buffeting -https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/front-fork-air-baffle. I had one on my 08 SG and on my 2012 Limited. Air coming up from underneath also causes buffeting.
I stopped at my local dealer today to get fork deflectors.They did not have them ,but sold me one of these. They said it would make a big difference. I will also get the fork deflectors. It's still cold here so I have not got the bike on the road yet.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bike_r_trash

Hi Sal!,
Ordered one today as you and some others here made a recommendation on the front fork air deflector. Additionally, I have been looking for you to thank you again for the shift lever that you sent me. Worked great and you are a honest man and man of your word!!!
Thanks again,
Phil

The following users liked this post:
bike_r_trash (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:19 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_R
I tried and have a 12 inch and still get buffeting, however less than the shorter shields. How tall are you?
Thank you!
I'm 6'2" and ride a 2015 Ultra. I wear a 3/4 HJC helmet that has the pull down face shield and Internal Sun Shield. It's the HJC IS 33 ii model.

How you sit in the saddle, slouched or back-straight as a board, determines a lot too. The height of the seat you use will also determine how high you sit. And of course, the height AND width of the windshield matters.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Phil,
I've tried EVERYTHING available to stop helmet buffeting. Read the other threads on the subject first before wasting more money experimenting. I can tell you for sure, the two things that do the most to reduce buffeting are a properly sized recurve windshield and lower leg wind deflectors (fangs).

Good luck,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I read in another thread that you used shorter chrome lower leg wind deflectors. Are you still using them and do you have a part number for them? Where can a person purchase a set of them? Are they made for an Ultra / touring bike or do you have to modify them?
Thanks again,
Phil

Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

i have yet to see the simple check mentioned. I had buffeting on my street glide. I placed my arm across my chest when I had buffeting, that stopped it. A simple check to see if you are getting air underneath the fairing/windshield/etc. I see the diagram showing wind flow.
this is a simple check.... next time you have buffeting, hold your left arm across your chest horizontally.... if the buffeting stops, you have air coming up from below. Save your money on trying different solutions until you try this!!!

Oh yeah.... I put the fugly fangs on....they are ugly, I hate them, but I have no buffeting!!!

Quick Reply: Helmet Buffeting