Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn don't blow all the time - Here's what I did.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Horn don't blow all the time - Here's what I did.

Thanks, I hadnt thought about a relay and for some reason I pictured the horn mounted down low

Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Danall
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2006 RG with the same stupid horn problem, works only 20% of the the time, if I'm lucky.
Brought it to the dealer for the 1,000 mile check and had horn replaced . . . still had same problem.
At 5,000 mile check, different dealer, same story, this time dealer said he couldn't find anything wrong with horn.
Fed up with this BS I went to the local auto parts store and bought a similar size auto horn for $15.00. So far it works everytime.
Funny, HD, company says they never heard of a horn problem. Maybe they should listen to their customers who blow 20G's on motorcycle. 40 years of riding and never had a problem with a horn.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM
henryjw1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine replaced 3 times. Wasn't that loud when it worked. My wife got me a set of Rivco air horns for my birthday. Now everyone hears me!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did the same thing. firstI took it off and looked at the direction of the curl. thenI spun it several times and about a t-spoon of water came out.I then sprayed silicone lube in it and spun it inthe other direction tocoat everything on the inside. I then spun it to get the excess out and wiped all down with a rag. now it works perfect everytime. I think first i would make sure nothing is inside of it. I see lots of people saying the ground id loose but i looked at the way it wires up and it has a seperate ground wire and is not ground through the mount. I think when most of them take it off to fix a ground problem they actually move around something inside (water) and it starts working again.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Hotrodpawpaw
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 06's had a horn issue, I suspected it was a wiring/button problem... They "adjusted" mine when I had my
06 Ultra, but after about a day or two it was sounding like a sick moose again... but I traded up for the 07 StreetUltraGlide (I have a 1 off one)
The horn problem went away... Now it still sounds like a moose, but a healthy one...

[IMG]local://upfiles/36512/582E5A9A86524D70A483BAE0211703CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2007, 12:20 PM
edman48
Novice

Hello: I have a 2006 RG and have had the same problem with horn. Sometimes it works ok, but most of the time it sounds like a sick duck! I went to Advance Auto Parts and purchased a FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn (Low Tone), Stock Number:F72112 for $15.00 plus tax that was recommended by a member in this forum. It took me about ten minutes to remove the old horn and install the new one. Now, the horn works like it is supposed to do! If you wanta new harley horn,and decide to buyfrom Chicago HD, it will cost you $23.68 plus shipping. Hopefully, this will be the last problem with the horn!!!!

Ride Safe,

Ed

2003 V-Rod
2006 Road Glide

Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Last night I hit my horn while sitting in my driveway to get my wifes attention inside the house. It sounded very weak. I looked down and it was unloading a large amount of water. I hadn't washed it in 5 days. I'll be stuffing something up inside it the next time I wash it.
Sorry Bob but you should wash it every day, especially when you
use it to get your wifes attention

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer- It's a Harley!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
f4mechusmc
Banned

I had my horn replaced 3 times in 2 years. Same problem as everyone else it seems. Damn thing just "Hums".

Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I had the same problem as I said earlier. I was on vacation and tried to get a new horn replaced. Dealer said he adjusted the 10mm screw on the old horn and it worked fine for the rest of my trip.

When I got horn I replaced it with the Harley air horn. I love the new horn sounds like a semi truck.

Quick Reply: Horn don't blow all the time - Here's what I did.