Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Pulls Left

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:20 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Bike Pulls Left

after new tires replaced by dealer my bike will pull left when i let off bars.... they checked today and said all was good ..but something is definately changed,,,i am sure they did not ride it.... bike always tracked dead nuts straight before the wheels were removed for the first time... could one rear adjuster cam be off a little ? if bike pulls left which cam should be tighter? can i just rap it a little with a hammer u think ? thanks guys... i am jacking this thing up myself tomorrow and try to figure out.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Your front brakes could be catching on your left rotor.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts

Rear wheel not aligned straight?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Readjust the rear tire, which means readjusting belt tension. Good chance the rear wheel is cocked from quick and sloppy work. The two cams on the sides of the rear axle do not adjust independently.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:11 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

what foxtrapper said

Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 AM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My bike pulls to the left as well. I’ve had the rear tire off and it’s adjusted properly. What else could it be? Forks slight twisted in the clamps?

Garrett

Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpeeDEMONSS
[left]My bike pulls to the left as well...Forks slight twisted in the clamps?
Pulls to the left, or the handlebars point to the left? There is a difference.

The bike pulls to the left if when you let go the handlebars, the bike turns toward the left. Causes can be weight imbalance, be it how you are in the seat or how the saddlebags are loaded; Road crown, as bikes and even cars tend to roll downhill; Significant wheel misalignment; Uneven tire wear; Twisted frame knocking the wheels out of vertical alignment. There are other things too.

If the bike continues straightish when you let go of the handlebars, but the bars are pointed to the side, likely causes are bent handlebars, twisted handlebar mounts, lightly tweaked triple tree. Again, there are more, but those are pretty common.

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (02-16-2020)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:03 AM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

A clutch or brake cable pushing on a fork or fairing can cause pulling.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:03 PM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

When I let go of the handlebars the bike wants to veer left slightly. I can get it to go straight if I lean to the right.

Garrett

Old 03-03-2018, 02:11 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Readjust the rear tire, which means readjusting belt tension. Good chance the rear wheel is cocked from quick and sloppy work. The two cams on the sides of the rear axle do not adjust independently.
thats what i am thinking... but i need to know for sure what i am doing... pretty good at workin on dirt bikes over the years but these big tourers are new to me... dealer told me yesterday there is no adjustment and dont let go of bars.,but after reseaching and talking to fellow riders i now know about these adjuster cams... so, here is what i discovered today after removing bags and measuring from center of swingarm to center of rear axle... left side of tire about 1/8 to 1/4 inch furthur back than right... does that make sense as to why it might pull left ? i can see the difference in the cam locations... right cam is lower than left thus the measurement...shouldnt they be exact ? they were not marked by dealer before removing tire... bike has only 16000 miles...perfect condition.. never been over and all this started AFTER new tires...

Quick Reply: Bike Pulls Left