Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a Navigation Unit that can set custom routes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 PM
criyi
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is there a Navigation Unit that can set custom routes?

I'd love to go on the computer with a large screen and plot out a ride and send it to a navigation unit for my bike. Is there anything like this? I know you can plot one out on google maps and send to your phone but when I do that it doesn't show me my route, only the fastest route.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Zumo. Best bang for the buck.

The following 2 users liked this post by nobodyknowsme:
criyi (02-25-2018), FXDXTSport (08-11-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Base Camp is the Garmin app that allows you to create routes and .gpx files and transport them to your Zumo or any other popular gps. Base Camp is free from Garmin and has a fairly steep learning curve.

The following users liked this post:
criyi (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM
criyi
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
Base Camp is the Garmin app that allows you to create routes and .gpx files and transport them to your Zumo or any other popular gps. Base Camp is free from Garmin and has a fairly steep learning curve.
That looks like what I was looking for. I don't mind learning the program, I'm very computer savy.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

For some reason when I post using the mobile website urls aren't active links, so you'll have to copy/paste

The following users liked this post:
dodger413 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

I do like the Garmin Zumo and also their BaseCamp software.

Honda and HD make good software programs you can download the routes into your say......Garmin GPS.

After testing as many as I can find, I decided to stick with Garmins BaseCamp.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
I have the Zumo and have had other Garmin Nav units. I use Harley Ride Planner. I found it much more user friendly than Basecamp. It works just like Google Maps but lets you save all your waypoints. It also allows you to transfer GPX files. I recently planned my entire 48 state trip on Ride Planner

The following 2 users liked this post by FXDXTSport:
criyi (02-25-2018), FNGonaRK (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,285 Likes on 4,448 Posts

I also like the Harley-Davidson ride planner... I started using it before I heard of BaseCamp, years ago...

I find it pretty simple to use....

I used it for my trip across country in 2012 with a Harley Road Tech Zumo GPS, and several trips since then... no issues...

You used to be able to hook up your Harley Road Tech GPS to your computer, when online with the Ride Planner, and it would sync with your GPS.

Now you need to download the GPX file route and then upload it to your GPS unit..

Last edited by hattitude; 02-25-2018 at 10:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Cobra6 (02-27-2018), criyi (02-25-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:12 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I use Trye. It is based off google maps so very easy to learn and you can save your route in several different formats to be compatible with different devices. I use my phone and the app Co-Pilot.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
I use Trye. It is based off google maps so very easy to learn and you can save your route in several different formats to be compatible with different devices. I use my phone and the app Co-Pilot.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/
There is some relationship between Tyre and https://www.myrouteapp.com/en that I mentioned above, but not sure exactly what it is. The page you pointed to has a banner pointing to Myrouteap, and the myrouteapp web site mentions a Tyre. Weird. maybe its a competitive thing, the Myrouteapp web site offers a discount to Tyre users.

Looks like one of the guys that started Tyre split off to form Myrouteapp: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/contact.

Myrouteapp also lists TyreToTravel as a partner.

It all started in 2006, when Jan Boersma wanted to combine his hobby’s, motor biking and programming. He created Tyre route software. It was further developed and grew to be one of the most widely known programs for creating GPS-routes, without any advertising. More than 500.000 people in the whole world use it. The hobby quickly escalated, and that's why Jan Boersma and Michel van Hagen started TyreToTravel in 2012 to be able to manage the business well. That worked out well, because since 2013 Tyre is an official partner of TomRom Rider with regards to the route software. Now it's time for more professionalization and expanding the possibilities. Jan Boersma and Michel van Hagen do this together with a very motivated team through MyRoute-app, the first all-in-one route-tool with a social coating. So that we can all enjoy even more perfectly planned routes.

Last edited by Keithhu; 02-26-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a Navigation Unit that can set custom routes?