Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Even though it is the most expensive route, I would check with the dealer on the work being down and have them do it. Either that or wait until the warranty expires. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I'd like to add to my earlier comment that I have been on and read this forum for over ten years. I have seen many posts like this talking about voiding their warranty because of modifications and many responses similar to the one's here with people scared your warranty will be worthless. I'm not saying a post doesn't exist and it's never happened to anyone, but I have never seen a single post on this forum in ten years that said " Don't do it. My warranty was voided by HD because I did that." If it ever did happen, even once in a while, people would be screaming about it here and it would be a very long thread. If one exists, I'd love to read it.

Yes, if you rebuild the engine, you will void the warranty, on the engine. But I bet they would still fix anything else on the bike under warranty.

Even more so now with sales dropping and plants closing. The last thing they would want to do is **** of a loyal customer. We'd all start buying Indian's.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I'd like to add to my earlier comment that I have been on and read this forum for over ten years. I have seen many posts like this talking about voiding their warranty because of modifications and many responses similar to the one's here with people scared your warranty will be worthless. I'm not saying a post doesn't exist and it's never happened to anyone, but I have never seen a single post on this forum in ten years that said " Don't do it. My warranty was voided by HD because I did that." If it ever did happen, even once in a while, people would be screaming about it here and it would be a very long thread. If one exists, I'd love to read it.

Yes, if you rebuild the engine, you will void the warranty, on the engine. But I bet they would still fix anything else on the bike under warranty.

Even more so now with sales dropping and plants closing. The last thing they would want to do is **** of a loyal customer. We'd all start buying Indian's.

You haven't been reading this forum lately....

There are a couple people here, who used a non-EPA tuners and were denied powertrain warranty repairs, even though the tune had nothing to do with the warranty claim..... and then they were flagged by the MoCo, losing the remainder of their powertrain warranty.

It started with the 2017 M8 models, and the EPA consent decree agreed to by the MoCo and EPA, over past practices of selling bikes with non-EPA tunes.... The warranty is from the MoCo, not the dealer. The MoCo is taking the consent decree seriously.

Do a search, they are here and on the other forum I read... It's a different ballgame now..... of course, non of this matters if you don't care about the warranty...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Kermie (02-25-2018), todd-67 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by eoluke
I have a 2017 Ultra Limited Low. Will changing the head pipes (getting rid of the cat) and new exhaust void my warranty?
Read the warranty section of your owners manual, the information is there for all to read.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I was going to tell him that but i was letting him feel like he knew what he was talking about before i linked him into those threads but you beat me to it Hattitude

Last edited by todd-67; 02-24-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

I'm going to ride the crap out of my 09... When the motor gets tired I'll get a 126" from FuelMoto and go with whatever kind of warranty I get with that.

I bet that 126 will run circles around the M8's. 20 years from now people will be going damn look at that old school Twinkie.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 23Seven
I'm going to ride the crap out of my 09... When the motor gets tired I'll get a 126" from FuelMoto and go with whatever kind of warranty I get with that.

I bet that 126 will run circles around the M8's. 20 years from now people will be going damn look at that old school Twinkie.
Lots of big bore motors out there now. The killer is the price of the motor plus all the other stuff you would want to upgrade to be able to handle that kind of power. The stock clutch wont even hold back a mild 107 especially as configured in the 96" setup.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:24 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
You haven't been reading this forum lately....

There are a couple people here, who used a non-EPA tuners and were denied powertrain warranty repairs, even though the tune had nothing to do with the warranty claim..... and then they were flagged by the MoCo, losing the remainder of their powertrain warranty.

Do a search, they are here and on the other forum I read... It's a different ballgame now..... of course, non of this matters if you don't care about the warranty...
You have a link to the thread? I'm nor being sarcastic here. I'd honestly love to read it. I do agree that a tuner would be a good reason to void a drivetrain warranty. In the right hands, they can make a bike sing like a choir. In the wrong hands, they can easily do damage to the engine.

I just spent an hour using the search and could find anything. ( warranty, warranty denied, warranty void, Warranty voided, etc) The link below is about the closest thread I could find that actually showed someone denied warranty. One sued and one, the other was on an 06. The thread specifically asked if anyone had a warranty claim denied and that's all that posted.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...post-here.html

I'm not saying that the MOCO will always honor the warranty. We all know that they aren't going to pay every claim. My point to the OP is that yes, taking the cat out technically voids the drivetrain warranty, but having a claim denied because of that is extremely rare and unlikely. If so, there would be many posts saying it happened to me. there aren't that I could find. I realize that the MOCO got their hand slapped pretty hard by the EPA and things have changed a bit but the dealer still wants your money and knows he'll never see another dime if denies unrelated claims for a simple mod like a cat less pipe. Now it the cat less pipe caused a failure ( not sure how that's possible) then they have every right to deny the claim.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:39 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post16638284

There is one of them. If you care to poke around and find his whole thread you can get the full story on it but I am not going to waste my time searching for someone that can't use the search function. You really should learn how to do it for yourself. It would save time mis-leading others with bad information.

Last edited by todd-67; 02-25-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
You have a link to the thread? I'm nor being sarcastic here. I'd honestly love to read it.
Here's the one that shows the MoCo is taking the EPA decree seriously..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...anty-poll.html

Check Post #3, Psyshack was the first I read where regardless of the cause, the fact that a non-EPA tuner was used, his warranty claim was denied and his powertrain warranty voided. I'd direct you to his original thread on the matter, but it evolved over a couple weeks and #3 above is the short version.

I know I read of another one on this forum, but don't remember the poster's name, or the title of the thread....

Based on Psyshack's posts and others; I have actually read the EPA decree, the 2017 Harley-Davidson limited Warranty (especially "exclusions" and "other limitations"), and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It's just not as confusing as people make it. There are things the MoCo "must" do (EPA Decree) and things they "could" do (HD warranty), but usually won't, as it has been for many years. Then the MM Act. It only protects against a manufacturer requiring "brand name" parts to maintain warranty coverage. Any non-OEM spec (performance enhancing) parts, and the MM Act doesn't do a thing for you.

The confusion comes from three main issues, in my opinion. 1) The fact that HD has pretty much ignored aftermarket parts in the past, and people have become used to that attitude. 2) The fact that there are many dealers who didn't take the MoCo seriously, and therefore did/do business as usual. 3) Dealers will flat out lie to make a sale, and many people don't seem to know that the warranty comes from the MoCo... NOT the dealer... the MoCo has the final word on any warranty claim.

Based on some of the stories I've read, there are dealers willing to lie and roll the dice, with their customer's warranty...

Unless a dealer is willing to make good out of his own pocket, and puts it in writing, on a new bike with non-EPA spec parts, stay within the warranty/EPA parameters, if you want to guarantee warranty coverage.

However, if you don't care about the warranty, none of this matters...

Last edited by hattitude; 02-25-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing pipes