Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel Batteries and battery tenders....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roussfam
Kinda turning into an oil thread
Indeed! I have several bikes and all of them have what I call a battery tender on them, as I write. I don't recall how old any of them is, but my batteries are all AGM type. The only special measure I have made is for the one bike I have a Shorai Lithium on, for which I have the dedicated charger.

Last edited by grbrown; 02-22-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
t059736 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Kinda turning into an oil thread
They always do...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,088 Likes on 628 Posts

I have not read a description for a battery "tender" that clearly defines how it works with batteries other than lead acid.

It is a curious point. Can the other batteries handle the up and down? Or does a tender cause premature failure?

Old 02-22-2018, 03:26 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Just make sure you never set it on cement it will ruin it! ��

Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cprhed
I have not read a description for a battery "tender" that clearly defines how it works with batteries other than lead acid.

It is a curious point. Can the other batteries handle the up and down? Or does a tender cause premature failure?
All a tender does is monitor battery condition and charge it up as required. In other words it has some simple electronics in it to check condition and switch on and off as required. Most batteries used in modern vehicles are actually lead acid, except that many do not have liquid acid sloshing around in them. AGM type batteries have a mat between the cells which absorbs the acid. The design enables a significant increase in performance. My tenders have all worked on the old style lead acid type and now work fine on AGM type. The only battery that won't work well with them is the lithium type.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed

If you do s Google search you can find the parameters for maintainece charging a gel cell battery, or any other kind of battery. There's s post above thst is pretty good on the gel battery front. How the charger does it isn' that hard to figure, it uses voltage and current flow to determine State of charge and what it needs.
All batteries need a different charging protocol, buy the charger maintainer that fits the battery. Battery manufacturers will sometimes reccomend compatable chargers.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
That tells me the "All Battery" store clerk is just trying to make a sale....

There is a reason that battery had a 2-year warranty.... To say a 2 yr warranty battery should get 6 years is plan ignorant.... too many variables to make a bold, blanket statement like that... it may get 6 years, but if that was the norm, it would have a longer warranty. Most anything with a warranty has had it's replacement cycle tested/documented. They will have a "fudge factor" to minimize warranty replacement costs, but the fudge factor won't be 3 times the warranty period....

I learned a lot about batteries; types, charging, and battery life, while running boats (36' & 46') for the last 30 years. Boat batteries are big, expensive, a lot of work to replace, and may sit for long periods....

The old ferroresonant chargers had a "trickle" charge that constantly put voltage to the batteries... in a lead acid battery, you would need to constantly check fluid levels to keep them topped off, or it would dry-out and kill the battery.... those chargers could cause early failure to any sealed battery. I remember when the new thing was when the ferroresonant chargers came out with a feature where they would turn off and then back on at certain voltages... Wow, technology!

With today's technology, as long as your battery tender is a smart charger, most are, it will take proper care of the battery when hooked up... even if hooked up all the time.

From my experience (to include my bikes), I'd get a good battery (the warranty period is clue to how well it's made). Then for a vehicle not used daily, get a good smart charger/tender and keep it plugged in whenever the vehicle is parked. This will usually give you the max life, for your use/environment, from your batteries...
Wholeheartedly agreed.

I have used Battery Tenders (Deltran specifically, which is the OEM HD tender manufacturer), since about 1995. Boats, Jeeps, muscle cars, diesel stuff, motorcycles, anything that sat more than it was driven.

My Street Glide, my Jeep, my 6.0 Super Duty (these things notoriously kill Fuel Injection Control Modules with weak batteries), my IS-F, and my daughters quads/motorcycles have them on them right now, mostly with connectors hard wired to the batteries.

It has been years since I have lost a battery (I know, I will lose a couple now since I spoke up!).

As a side note I am a fan of Odyssey branded AGM products, don’t run many old school lead acid batteries any more. I have even had good luck with Optima’s, even though I have several friends that had them die (not on Tenders).

Peace of mind knowing they will light right up at any given time.

Last edited by SoCalHDMC; 02-22-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,691 Likes on 11,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
I wasn't attempting to give an electronic description of how it worked, just a brief description of what a float was. But glad you feel better.
Do you have to be antagonistic on every topic in every thread? You actually were trying to describe how a float charger works, and you described it wrong. I merely wanted to set it correct for those that are considering a gel battery, so they make the right choices.

But yes, thanks for asking. I do feel better when I provide people with facts rather than made up BS.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I have the HD Smart Charger, that I believe is a Deltran product. I highly recommend you put a digital readout inline at the charger to more accurately know what it is doing. The voltage slowly goes up, then down, 80% light, then fully charged/float cycle.
IT DOES NOT STAY AT 13.85 VOLTS.
It is generally known that batteries tend to last longer in "Daily Drivers". The voltages of my vehicles charging system TO THE BATTERIES are very similar to what my Smart Charger produces. If this maintaining was bad for your batteries, well, just think about it. Deltran is pretty sharp, and makes a pretty good product.
You know, batteries are a fickled thing, identical batteries can give different lives. Of my 2 identical trolling batteries in my bass boat, one lasted 1 1/2 year, the other just turned 9 years old and still kicking. I trickle charge them overnight maybe once a month over the winter, but charge them up after every use. Not good for a discharged battery to remain in that state for long, that's a fact.
Here's the voltmeter I use, waterproof, cheap, effective, attached to the top of my smart charger:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B689UGA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2U3BEWTMYAQZU&colid=3ATY1IQ4R0N8L&psc=0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B689UGA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2U3BEWTMYAQZU&colid=3ATY1IQ4R0N8L&psc=0

Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have several motorcycles, boat, rv, pick up, riding mower, tractor all on tenders. Have more than doubled the life of the batteries, never a problem yet.

Quick Reply: Gel Batteries and battery tenders....