Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘17 Road King Rear Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,792 Likes on 11,580 Posts
Default ‘17 Road King Rear Brake Pedal

I’ve owned my ‘17 Road King for 8 months, and the rear brake pedal always seemed uncomfortable, I finally compared it to my ‘12 TriGlide. No wonder...the RoadKing pedal arm is much shorter.

Are all the newer models now made for shirt guys, or just the RoadKings!

Anyhow, I order the Kurykrapen extended pedal. Hopefully that gets rid of my thigh cramps,

Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Extended brake pedal. Many of us have been swamping them out starting with the Rushmores. The extended pedal lowers the angle. I have had the Kurykrapen on both my 2016 and 2017 works well for me. Two different part numbers for one with and with out lowers.
Next swap out that clutch lever for an adjustable one it will feel like a new bike a real slow speeds.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:48 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Comparing the two, I don’t get why Harley made the change. I assume the TriGlide pedal is the same as on the Uktra. But, whose stupid idea was it to shorten it on my ‘17 RoadKing so it’s over the footboard. Whoever did that doesn’t spend much time in slow maneuvers.

The rear pedal on my ‘17 RoadKing:

The rear pedal on my ‘12 Ultra TriGlife:

Last edited by TriGeezer; 02-20-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

One of the first things I did on my 16 FLHTK was replace the brake pedal with one from Softbrake. I didn't like the stock pedal on my 2000 UC either and replaced it with a Kury.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I don't know why they changed that either. It's flipping anoying. My 10 is in the right spot. Not sure why they would screw up on thing they had right. My 17 SG is is i need of some help. Might look into the softbrake.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I got the Kurykan from Amazon, and with Prime it arrived in 2 days. I installed it today, and here are my thoughts:

Pluses:
+ The Kurykan pedal seems to be of good quality. The chrome is quality. The pedal is built well, and at least as good as the OEM Harley one.
+ The pedal position is now where I think it should be, and matches my ‘12 Ultra.

Minuses:
- It was a PITA to install. Obviously the pedal is installed in the factory before the exhaust system. Why it’s a PITA: It’s really difficult to get to the cotter pin that holds the pin in place that connects the pedal to the piston rod. To get it out, I removed the right rider floor board, and rear support, and loosened the front one to swing it down. I still could not get any tool on the pin, so I had to bend the pin together with my fingers. To pull it out I made a hook out of a finishing nail.
- I can not get the OEM pad off the OEM pedal without destroying it. So maybe it’s time to upgrade the floorboards, pedal, and shifter pads. I’ll head to my dealer tomorrow to either buy a new pad or the hole set.
- I had a brain fart. After reinstalling the pedal, it didn’t look any different than the OEM one...that was because I actually re-installed the original one. I guess it gave me practice to put the new one on.

I watched a Utube video on how to replace the pedal, and that gave the tips to remove the master cylinder bolts, and the crash bar lower bolts. This helped get the pedal in place and align the holes to get the pin in place.

Again though...WTF did they change this??

Last edited by TriGeezer; 02-21-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Spellung
Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have the Kurlack sitting at home waiting to go on new bike, along with a bunch of other stuffy in black. Got it to maximise the available room with my Banana Boards. With the RGS the only difference is engine guard has to be removed. Yeah, I watch videos as well.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 02-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I got the Kurykan from Amazon, and with Prime it arrived in 2 days. I installed it today, and here are my thoughts:

Pluses:
+ The pedal position is now where I think it should be, and matches my ‘12 Ultra.

That is what I wanted to know. Looks like shopping time today to get one. I am with you though why in the hell did they change something nobody had an issue with?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Pluses:
+ The Kurykan pedal seems to be of good quality. The chrome is quality. The pedal is built well, and at least as good as the OEM Harley one.

Minuses:
- It was a PITA to install. Obviously the pedal is installed in the factory before the exhaust system. Why it’s a PITA: It’s really difficult to get to the cotter pin that holds the pin in place that connects the pedal to the piston rod. To get it out, I removed the right rider floor board, and rear support, and loosened the front one to swing it down. I still could not get any tool on the pin, so I had to bend the pin together with my fingers. To pull it out I made a hook out of a finishing nail.
- I can not get the OEM pad off the OEM pedal without destroying it. So maybe it’s time to upgrade the floorboards, pedal, and shifter pads. I’ll head to my dealer tomorrow to either buy a new pad or the hole set.
- I had a brain fart. After reinstalling the pedal, it didn’t look any different than the OEM one...that was because I actually re-installed the original one. I guess it gave me practice to put the new one on.

I watched a Utube video on how to replace the pedal, and that gave the tips to remove the master cylinder bolts, and the crash bar lower bolts. This helped get the pedal in place and align the holes to get the pin in place.

Trick to it pad comes right off. Flat screw Drive

Last edited by smitty901; 02-22-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Trick to it pad comes right off. Flat screw Drive
Squirt a little WD under it with a screwdriver to pull it off.

Quick Reply: ‘17 Road King Rear Brake Pedal