Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle @ start-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM
urleycay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle @ start-up

I have an 03 Roadglide and bought it new. I have never had a problem w/ bike starting and running @ 2500 rpm f/ a few minutes before calming down. this bike has never done this. I always shut bike off w/ quick flip of shut off buttom then I turn off ignition. I have ALWAYS done it this way and I never rev motor before shutting off. I pull it in garage and let bike idle while i turn it around.
this was an on and off problem and I read some threads on turning ignition switch on/off 3 x's and it resets ECM. well that work ed but last week I went for ride w/ club. in morning ,no problem, thru-out day no problem then it did it, then it didn,t then it did. Is there a sure proof remedy i can do at home or is it something in ECM that's going nuts. Like I said I read a lot of threads but looking for an update on this issue as some of the threads are old. so if anyone can help great! can the dealer solve the problem?????? Hope someone can help.
to the wifes and girlfriends Happy Valentines Day!
Take care/ ride safe
Tony

Old 02-14-2018, 02:53 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

How does it run the rest of the time? Good power and linear throttle response? A friend had a broken throttle blade shaft that did all kinds of crazy stuff.

Have you ever cleaned the IAC solenoid? The IAC is an air bypass and could be sticking wide open occasionally.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM
urleycay
Advanced
Default high idle@start-up

My bike runs great, no problems when idle kicks down. This IAC valve I can tell you I have never messed w/ it. I,m sure it was looked at while bike was under warranty and going thru check-ups but its something I should be doing. I get book out and find out where this little booger is at. or if you can tell me and what to clean it with? I have the screaming eagle air cleaner w/ expose filter and I always clean that w/ every oil change. This fast idle thing is new and wondering also if it's because my bikes been sitting a lot under cover while I finally finish restoration on my el camino. even w/ bike cover up and el camino in paint booth that fine dust still manages to get all over shop, I,m wondering?
thank you very much

Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you might have a engine temp sensor going bad. when mine went out, my bike constantly had a high start up idle because the sensor 'thought' it was like 30 degrees outside

Old 02-14-2018, 04:02 PM
urleycay
Advanced

did yours do it all the time or intermitant like mine?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

go to this link for a parts finder:
Look for Electrical, Ignition then look at picture for part number 27628-01
or just enter by part number and double check it is your bike.
It will show you a nice picture.
Do NOT buy anything
Look at the part, remove and clean it..sometimes the plunger gets stuck if dirty.
Again, do NOT buy anything..clean it first.
Make absolutely sure you have NOT changed grips lately and that throttle grip is snapping back clean..Sometimes people push the throttle grip inwards and grip scrubs against end of handlebar restricting snap back.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Old 02-16-2018, 06:37 AM
urleycay
Advanced

thanks f/ advice. i,ve had these grips on for about 3 yrs. but i did find IAC Valve in my manual and of course Harley saids nothing about procedure for cleaning.
went out yesterday w/ club and put on 185 mi. the bike acted normal til after lunch. started and idled about 18-1900 rpm. then again at break stop. same issue. On the way home I stopped to refuel and it did not do it. so it did it 2 out of 5 times. I will clean it first.
thanks Tony

Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Pull the air cleaner, you will see the IAC pintle at about 10 o'clock position in the throttle body.

Stuff a shop rag into the throttle body, then while turning the ignition switch on and off a number of times spray the IAC pintle with carb cleaner.

The rag is to catch the runoff so it dont foul the plugs when you go to start the bike.
You will be surprised at the amount of crud that will be flushed out of the IAC pintle.

Let us know how it works out for you.