Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2up touring seat tall rider and passenger with driver backrest ... selections

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,087 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Mustang Super tour, it’s the new version for taller people...I love mine, tried the regular wide tour and the Sundowner but the Super tour is by far the best I’ve had, I haven’t tried the hammock but I don’t know if they make it for 05. The tall boy is the Sundowner re worked for tall people, I demoed one and didn’t care for it...Good luck finding the unicorn...lol

Old 02-11-2018, 06:07 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by 838
I'm looking for a good 2up seat for my 2005 ultra. The stock seat has me really forward on the bike and it's way too tall (though very comfortable). I'm 6'2" but my legs are short 30" inseam. My arms are very, very long so I will need the seat as low and as far back as possible. My wife is 6' (all legs) and I want her to be as comfortable, if not more comfortable than I am. I'm already planning to lower the bike a couple inches, but it'll need a lower seat as well. I really want a backrest for mysel as well.

It's a lot to ask for. Any good choices?
Don't waste your money on the awful Harley drivers' backrests, even the so-called adjustable one. There's only ONE driver backrest that I have found to be functional and easy to adjust/remove: MUSTANG!! It's the best in the industry. It folds forward easy also to allow you or passenger to mount easily.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:47 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Don't waste your money on the awful Harley drivers' backrests, even the so-called adjustable one. There's only ONE driver backrest that I have found to be functional and easy to adjust/remove: MUSTANG!! It's the best in the industry. It folds forward easy also to allow you or passenger to mount easily.
I did a 1364 mile ride in 24 hours on a hammock seat with a fixed Harley backrest mounter correctly for my height and reach and it was good enough to let me keep going, that's a pretty good testimonial!

Old 02-11-2018, 01:36 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

My cheap Harley backrest does all that.

The following users liked this post:
RayHD11 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
The Tallboy is what I ended up getting, and it’s pretty good, but the Hammock blows it away
Does the hammock position you as far back and down as the Tallboy?

Old 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

Does the hammock position you as far back and down as the Tallboy?
Almost. Tallboy is a big, padded seat with lot of support for your back, probably wouldn't need a backrest. The hammock is a little slimmer and better sprung but definitely sits you further back than a sundowner. Try both at the dealer, they will let you demo them.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Harley Hammock, without a doubt, the most comfortable seat with extra reach

for an OEM seat, the Hammock is the most comfortable and does give you some more leg room.

Note there are TWO types of hammocks. both fit 09-13 (08s different story, I know as I own an 08 too). The older version of the hammock is a bit more tractorlike seat, but each is comfortable.

Searching for a seat is a royal pain, but the Hammock is a great gamble to try. Most big dealers have a demo program where you can try it for free. Definitely do that before shelling out $$$ on anything.

Edit: I am unsure if a Hammock will fit an 05 (reread your post)

Last edited by F150HD; 02-11-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
I did a 1364 mile ride in 24 hours on a hammock seat with a fixed Harley backrest mounter correctly for my height and reach and it was good enough to let me keep going, that's a pretty good testimonial!
So YOU ARE the ONE that Harley made that piece of junk for! Are you also the ONE rider that thought the stock Road King seat and bars were perfectly fine too?

All kidding aside, I'm glad it fits you fine, but for most, it isn't nearly as comfortable and functional as the MUSTANG. For instance, on a long ride, if I want to change sitting positions to sit higher or lower, all I do is reach behind me and pull the rest up or push it down a little. Likewise, at a gas stop I can fold it down towards the tank to allow me to swing my leg over the bike more easily. Your fixed HD mount will not allow that kind of on-the-road functionality.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a tallboy with about 500 miles on it....It's not even worth my time selling on this forum....I'll sell it to someone locally.

Mustang Summitt is what I just bought and I freaking love it. The summit is made for rushmore and later because the passenger area is a lot wider to fill in the space.

I know ppl may enjoy the tallboy, but here is what I noticed. It put me so freaking far back that I was sitting on my wife's neck and she is only 4'11. Two....I hate the HD backrest. I hated it on my streetglide and never used it on that either. I had a C&C on that one. I'm sorry, but the mustang backrest is far superior and offers way more and easier adjustability. Until you have one, you may not realize that it makes the HD one seem....not so adjustable. I promise you ....see if you can find someone with a Mustang backrest that slides down into the seat and you'll see.

Please believe GOV5. He's not lieing. Shoot, I can reach back, while riding, and adjust my mustang backrest. Also, the HD one comes up to my dang shoulders. LOL ....well, not that high, but the mustang one fits nicely. Lastly, mustang is built like a tank....I can flex my tall boy pan by hand. If you want max leg room....tallboy is cool, but it sat me too far back and into the passenger. Mustang did put me back a little more than my stock seat but it sat me up just a tad bit and it's crazy, but putting me up that tad bit....gave me more leg room too. My tallboy sat me DOWN and back....

Last edited by sfcmo357; 02-14-2018 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 AM
RayHD11
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So YOU ARE the ONE that Harley made that piece of junk for! Are you also the ONE rider that thought the stock Road King seat and bars were perfectly fine too?

All kidding aside, I'm glad it fits you fine, but for most, it isn't nearly as comfortable and functional as the MUSTANG. For instance, on a long ride, if I want to change sitting positions to sit higher or lower, all I do is reach behind me and pull the rest up or push it down a little. Likewise, at a gas stop I can fold it down towards the tank to allow me to swing my leg over the bike more easily. Your fixed HD mount will not allow that kind of on-the-road functionality.
Well, count me in for that set up with Harley seat and I use the adjustable HD backrest. Set up properly for my height and size. My wife had a Mustang seat on her soft tail and went back to the stock slim seat over the Mustang seat/backrest. I would hardly say the majority love a Mustang seat but some asses are bigger than others...LOL.

My adjustable HD backrest, on the go, the adjust lever is as easy to use as adjusting a car seat, pull the lever lean forward or back and let go of the lever. (on the go or sitting on the side of the road) There is no reaching behind or back to adjust it, the lever is located on the frame just under the front of the seat on the left side. The backrest also folds over, spring loaded sets it right back into place.

Last edited by RayHD11; 02-14-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2up touring seat tall rider and passenger with driver backrest ... selections