Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike time

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018 | 03:10 PM
Jshopes
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default New bike time

Ok guys i was hoping for some input. Ive been on a few m8 bikes at a demo day and wasnt that impressed with the motor plus the warranty deal and the sumping issues, its not worth it to me. So, i havent been on anything from 09-16. Im looking at either a ultra ltd 14-16 or a cvo 09-12. Pricing is about the same on both, around 16-18. I love the cvo bikes and i know about the 110 issues but, considering i havent been on a 14-16 are they all that and then some? Im familiar with the rushmore features, but i feel like some of the features of the cvo would outweigh the rushmore. Id appreciate some input either way. Im not asking anyone to pick my bike, just maybe im not thinking about some things or maybe im missing something. My other options are the goldwing and the roadmaster and im coming off an 01 road king. Like i said, im not wanting anyone to pick my bike, just another pov on pros and cons. As it sits, im really considering either an ultra ltd or the fltru 14-16. Kind of leaning towards the fltru because its more spread out.

The following users liked this post:
highwayking (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018 | 03:15 PM
Jshopes
|
Stellar HDF Member

By the way, im 6ft1, 260 which is why i like the fltru being spread out. Im planning on stage 2 for a 103 or stage 1 for a 110. Goldwing would stay stock save the extended pegs and risers, roadmaster would have to be a stage 3. I know im in an hd forum so ill get smoked for those two. Hd or indian would also have taller bars than factory.

Old 02-03-2018 | 03:21 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Problems with M8 are really overhyped. I've ridden for 40+ years and owned 27 bikes over that time including metrics. Wont buy anything but a Harley for the past 20 years.

Old 02-03-2018 | 03:23 PM
Jshopes
|
Stellar HDF Member

The goldwing is the biggest stretch for me as far as style, but, i rode one a few months ago and good god what a ride. Its just so....sterile. no character whatsoever. I guess the best bike for me would be a harley with indians infotainment and hondas suspension lol

Old 02-03-2018 | 03:24 PM
Jshopes
|
Stellar HDF Member

My biggest problem with the m8 is that if i do what i want to do with it, ill void the warranty. Already discussed that with 2 dealers.

Old 02-03-2018 | 04:30 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

I would go with the 14-16, you get the 49MM forks. Not to **** of the CVO guy's, but they all look the same.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 02-03-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2018 | 04:40 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

You'll know it when you see it follow you instincts if your choice is down to a few models take another look and follow your instincts

Old 02-03-2018 | 04:43 PM
NugBa
Cruiser

It’s a shame your mods will void warranty on a new M8 cause I love my 2018 SGS. It’s so true the problems in this forum although do exist for some and are serious. They are greatly overhyped with most people enjoying their rides.

John

Old 02-03-2018 | 04:45 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned

Ride what makes ya happy. What I think has nothing to do with what bike will make you happy. That being said the M8 bikes are the best "off the shelf" Harleys I've ever ridden. Period. (Let the flames begin!) If you don't think the stock M8 kicks the **** out of stock 103, you may have ridden a broken one. Now, sounds like I'm being a wise-***, but years ago my buddies and I demoed Indians. Two of us were impressed with the 111 motor compared to the HD 96 and 103, but the guy on the TC88 said, "My bike has more power (stock engine)." We did another round and he rode a different bike. We get back and he says, "Now, I get it." The first bike had something going on that robbed it of power. Maybe too many demos, who knows? I agree with a previous poster that the M8 issues are overblown. Yes, unfortunately, some owners have had problems. Can't help you on the warranty thing. That's a solid consideration depending on what you're going to do. Good luck and enjoy the ride, whatever it may be.

Old 02-03-2018 | 06:30 PM
Jshopes
|
Stellar HDF Member

I appreciate the input from everyone. I guess kind of what im looking for would be "96-01 touring bikes have an obsolete efi system good luck getting parts" or "09-13 have hot forged cranks". They dont, but, im looking for tidbits like this. Things that may not be apparent while just browsing but would be good to know.

I really havent had anything jump out at me since ive been looking. Id be happy on any of the above bikes. Theres pros and cons to each. Just picking the harley guys minds for now.

One good one i recently found out was that the rushmore bikes move the tourpak back an inch. Thats good info to know and a tick on the rushmore score card

Quick Reply: New bike time