Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 AM
ddlane68
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pak question

I have a 2004 road King police efi, 88 in I have the forced air intake and Vance and Hines 4 in slip-ons. I am considering a fuel pak or equivalent system. What should I be looking for in them and expect out of them? What is considered a good price for a fixed income?

Thanks Dave

Old 02-03-2018, 05:04 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

The Fuel Pacs work by richening you motors fuel air ratio to give it a little more fuel that helps smooth the engine out, a little better performance, but mostly to cool your hot running air cooled motors. In the old days you had to change out the jets and adjust your carb's mixture screws.
In 1999 I bought a '99 EFI TC88 Roadking that I put a Vance and Hines Fuel Pac on when the bike was new and I rode the bike for eight years and put almost 90K miles on her with the Fuel Pac trouble free. That Fuel Pac had three adjustable RPM ranges with (if I remember right) that had a little red, yellow and green LED's and set screws that I'd adjust with a tweaker screwdriver to get a richer fuel mixture for each RPM range. The LED's would go from red to yellow to green. I had mounted the FP under the right side cover.
In Dec of 2009 I bought a 2010 Electra Glide Limited with the 103 motor, since the Vance and Hines Fuel Pac worked trouble free on my '99 I put their newer version on my 103. It's has like thirty different neumeric settings that V/H gives you that you put into it. Then forget about it. It has worked without any issues since Jan on 2010 and I'm still riding that bike two or three times a week.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 02-03-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

I went to a local shop certified and talked to him, he has a dyno, he sees the numbers. I have an 06 flh and love my PCIII, with the custom map it really runs great.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...r_locator.aspx

Old 02-03-2018, 07:21 AM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ddlane68
I am considering a fuel pak or equivalent system.
Thanks Dave
Welcome to the HDF!

There is a ton of information on fuel paks and other fuel management devices on HDF. My personal experience from other riders and friends that have installed the fuel pak have not all been positive. I guess they got some lemons. The PCIII may be a better option. I have ran the TTS Master Tune for years but recently switched to the V&H FP3. Both are Flash Tuners which change your ECM directly and don't require you to keep an additional device on your motorcycle. Perhaps more expensive to start with but in the long run, IMHO, I think Flash type tuners are a better choice.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 AM
H Dog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2003 flhpi with Python slip ons, K&N air filter and S&S 510 gear driven cams; no shoes to check. Bike ran great but something not quite right. Got in touch with Fuel Motto and they mapped a PC 5 for me and made all the difference. Bike is very strong and runs a lot cooler. Majority of my riding is 60-80 mph. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:50 AM
FPV
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Dave,
Before you buy anything you should consider calling FuelMotoUSA and talking with Travis or Jamie 920-423-3309. They may be able to get you setup with the PowerVision PV-1 with a custom map that will do what you're looking for plus a whole lot more like ability to log, full set of digital gauges in the PV display and ability to quick tune. I see the V&H FuelPaks from $299 to $399. Around Memorial Day FuelMoto usually has a sale that will net a PV-1 for under $399 shipped.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I went to a local shop certified and talked to him, he has a dyno, he sees the numbers. I have an 06 flh and love my PCIII, with the custom map it really runs great.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...r_locator.aspx
I did the same on my 04 King Police.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:49 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 370 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by FPV
Dave,
I see the V&H FuelPaks from $299 to $399. Around Memorial Day FuelMoto usually has a sale that will net a PV-1 for under $399 shipped.
I almost bought the FP3 from Fuelmoto AT 399.00, found it at Hog pro for 299.00.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:42 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a similar setup as you. Ran a FuelPak for years. Had no real problems with it. V&H is great about supplying you with the correct map for your bike. You can logon to their website and choose your setup in the pull down menus for a map suggestion. If there are no choices that match yours, just choose "other" and it gives you the option to e-mail v&h for a custom map. They are very good about supplying you with one. Found a deal on a Power Commander 3, so bought it and changed them out. I am much happier with the power commander. More tweakable than the fuelpak. Both are good products. The FuelPak values are entered manually with buttons on the unit, while the Power Commander requires a laptop/pc connection to download the map to the unit. Both can be found on flea bay for a reasonable price.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:16 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BackRoader
I have a similar setup as you. Ran a FuelPak for years. Had no real problems with it. V&H is great about supplying you with the correct map for your bike. You can logon to their website and choose your setup in the pull down menus for a map suggestion. If there are no choices that match yours, just choose "other" and it gives you the option to e-mail v&h for a custom map. They are very good about supplying you with one. Found a deal on a Power Commander 3, so bought it and changed them out. I am much happier with the power commander. More tweakable than the fuelpak. Both are good products. The FuelPak values are entered manually with buttons on the unit, while the Power Commander requires a laptop/pc connection to download the map to the unit. Both can be found on flea bay for a reasonable price.
The Fuelpak worked fine for me until I installed the Andrews 21's. Drank fuel and didn't ever run right. V&H customer support was no help with a better map and per them, was not designed for cams. Went with FM Power vision and Auto tune. Yes, I had to go to V&H true dual head pipes for the 02 sensors. Yes, it was a lot of coin all together, but worked for me

Quick Reply: Fuel pak question