Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single disc vs dual

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:05 AM
CB2060
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Single disc vs dual

I know there are some threads on this topic, but wanted to ask specifically about my set up. I have an 03 road king classic with the dual ABS. I am putting on new chrome wheels, 16x3 stock size and would really like to see more of the wheel. I’m already planning on chrome lowers, new cables and wanted to ask thoughts regarding the ride and stopping power. I’m well aware I would need a six piston caliper and perhaps even go to a 13 inch rotor. I ride solo most of the time, live where it’s flat and don’t ride across country. All the HD techs tell me I’d lose too much stoping power and strongly discourage the change. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Stopping is actually done by the tire, not the rotor & caliper. Changing to a single rotor does not change that.

What does change is the feel at the lever, both in terms of force and distance. As long as you set up for that and don't flip out over the differences, you'll be fine as far as simply stopping.

Something else that changes is friction surfaces and heat dissipation. Very generically, a single rotor will heat up faster and get hotter than a dual rotor brake will. Just like how a little brake gets hotter faster than a big brake does. This does mean you may be more likely to experience fade under repeated hard braking and using that brake to hold back speed while riding down a long mountain. Will it matter to you in your application? Probably not.

Of course, I actually ride a bike with mechanical drum brakes, so I'm really comfortable with sketchy braking power, Lol!

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (04-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,339 Likes on 19,120 Posts

Larger diameter rotor will increase leverage ... might help

Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Except for the FatBob, your Softails on down have a single front disc. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Ex-Leftcoaster; 02-01-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 AM
fifty
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont switch out to single.... just get nicer rotors.. PM and Lyndell do some real nice and color matched rotors

Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by CB2060
I know there are some threads on this topic, but wanted to ask specifically about my set up. I have an 03 road king classic with the dual ABS. I am putting on new chrome wheels, 16x3 stock size and would really like to see more of the wheel. I’m already planning on chrome lowers, new cables and wanted to ask thoughts regarding the ride and stopping power. I’m well aware I would need a six piston caliper and perhaps even go to a 13 inch rotor. I ride solo most of the time, live where it’s flat and don’t ride across country. All the HD techs tell me I’d lose too much stoping power and strongly discourage the change. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First, are you sure you have ABS? I didn't think you could get ABS until 2005 and then only on the police bikes.

Second, braking power is a function of surface area, pressure and traction. You probably don't have enough power now to lock the front wheel on dry pavement, so you haven't reached the limits of the tire. The 03 brakes aren't great, even as a dual so I wouldn't want to degrade them at all. You'll need to find a setup that increases surface area and/or pressure to even come close to equaling what you currently have and as others have said, you'll have an increased risk of fade during long or repeated stops.

Personally, I'd be looking to upgrade to better dual brakes and getting rotors that match you wheels and maybe chrome Brembo calipers.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Red face

There are plenty of members riding with a single rotor on a Touring bike, but that isn't for me, not least because when Mrs B and I are touring we get close to our Glide's GVWL. We each have to decide on the consequences of a change like going to one rotor, but each of our circumstances may be quite different, of course. The Alps are not far from us!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by LazySundays
First, are you sure you have ABS? I didn't think you could get ABS until 2005 and then only on the police bikes.

Second, braking power is a function of surface area, pressure and traction. You probably don't have enough power now to lock the front wheel on dry pavement, so you haven't reached the limits of the tire. The 03 brakes aren't great, even as a dual so I wouldn't want to degrade them at all. You'll need to find a setup that increases surface area and/or pressure to even come close to equaling what you currently have and as others have said, you'll have an increased risk of fade during long or repeated stops.

Personally, I'd be looking to upgrade to better dual brakes and getting rotors that match you wheels and maybe chrome Brembo calipers.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 170 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Stopping is actually done by the tire, not the rotor & caliper. Changing to a single rotor does not change that...
Are you sure? You may want to rethink your statement.

I'll agree that the tire meeting the road is ultimately how the bike stops, but the caliper, pads and rotor provide the necessary forces to the tire to stop the bike.

Reducing caliper, pad and rotor capacity will reduce stopping ability.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 231 Posts

I wouldnt, Harley brakes arent great as it is. Heavy bike. I wouldnt decrease that stopping power.
If you do get rid of one, Id definitely upgrade to a nice rotor and good 6 piston caliper.

Quick Reply: Single disc vs dual