Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!

ORIGINAL: bloozeman2002

So I went on a little ride on Saturday. I took the girlfriend for a spin down to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa IL. About 60 miles into the run I hear a clicking noise, and figured it was an exhaust leak. I was planning on stopping at the stealer for a t-shirt and a soft drink, so I thought that I'd have them tighten it up for me. When I got off the bike, I saw that the stud was broken off at the same height as the exhause flange on the rear pipe. This leaves about 1/2" of stud sticking out of the head. Now I'm thinking that they'll either double nut it, or install a nut and spot weld it to get the stud out, and install new stud, and away I go. I talk to the service writer, and she starts talking about drilling the stud out, and how they are going to have to remove the head, and how I will have to leave the bike when I am 150 miles from home. YEAH RIGHT. I never have the dealer do any work on my bike, and this is the reason for it. They try to jack me like I am an idiot every time I need something. Well, it turns out that my buddy and I replaced the stud and had it rolling in 2 hours, and $3.50 for the stud. If we had a lift, I'd say 1.25 hours.

Just a warning to anyone out there that may be in this area.. They are theives, and will lie to your face to jack up labor time. What happened to the dealers that would help you out if you were in a bind???
Nice warning for the rest of us, but you left out the most interesting/useful part (at least to me):

What method did you and your buddy use to remove the broken stud?...double nut?...spot weld?...other?

I'd like to know what works best, in case I ever have the same problem.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:13 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!

As a mechanic and a Service writter I can understand what they said. After all, if they plan for the worst and it is a simple fix, it is easier to tell a customer that all went well and it comes to 100.00 to fix the problem vs telling it will be 100.00 and the stud breaks off flush with the head and now it needs to have the head pulled to do the job right, that will be 800.00 after you waited 2-3 hours to get it fixed. I my self try to explain both ways so the customer knows what is going on, but some don't hear, it may cost this, just the lower amount or just the higher amount. Not to mention, not all mech are created equeal.

Toby