Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!

Your experience is an unfortunate one.

I hope this is not the norm for travelers in need of help to get back on the road.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Hogtoad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer that assembled my 07 ultra did a little dummy thing on one of the antenna's, they didn't have a set screw to tighten the thing in place so they just gripped it with pliers and tightened it up. Well guess what, it left marks gouged into the antenna. I guess they thought that no one would ever lift the rubber boot which covers the antenna. I'm waiting for my first service to find out what their problem was and then stand where I can see what's going on during the service.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Seawolf
Tourer

I am curious what the qualifications are to work as a HD Mechanic in one of these dealerships. The few times I have talked to the guys in the service department I didn't find their knowledge to be any better than my own. Not to have a big head or anything, but short of tearing the motor down working on these bikes is fairly simple given you have the space and tools to do it.

I enjoy going to the dealership to look at the new stuff and shop for chrome, but i stay away from the service department. If i need something done that I can't handle then I go to one of the local guys who work on harleys. Most of these shops take a little more pride in their work because they want you to return and pass the word about their shop.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 AM
troopin
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

were you out therefor the freedom run.... I was at the run then we took a cruise down to starved rock as well...

Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

The title to the postmay be a tad harsh. Doesn't sound like they actually lied, rather they told you how they intended to fix the problem. Granted there were better, faster, cheaper ways to get it done, but that does that make them liars? Food for thought.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anthing for a dealer to make more $$$$$.
REMEMBER THIS...
usually the service writer (service manager)..especially at your bigger HD shops is NOT a mechanic and usually has about a 10% clue as to what it takes to fix something. This is not always true but for the most part it is.
I have a similar situation. I live 30 minutes from 2 different HD shops. One 30 minutes north, one 30 minutes south. The north shop has a service mgr that is not a wrench but a mgr that is there to keep the customers satisfied and keep the techs on schedule. The south shop has a head wrench that is also the service mgr. This guy really knows his stuff and has been wrenching for many, many years. I take his word as gospel.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: troopin

were you out therefor the freedom run.... I was at the run then we took a cruise down to starved rock as well...
I didn't hit the freedom run. I actually didn't even hear about until we got there. I hear that it is a good ride.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Plow64

The title to the postmay be a tad harsh. Doesn't sound like they actually lied, rather they told you how they intended to fix the problem. Granted there were better, faster, cheaper ways to get it done, but that does that make them liars? Food for thought.
You are right, I should have titled it DUMMIES, or THEIVES. Even the most inexperienced mechanic wouldn't pull the head for that job, so they are either stupid (I doubt it), or they are trying to steal money from me. Either way, they have no business working on my bike, or anyone I know. I'm just throwing this out there, and if I can save one person from this B.S, I have done my deed for the day.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

I hear ya on that.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Ryno92
4th Gear

I agree...Starved Rock Harley does suck. I had my rear tire changed on my Buell, at the time, and they charged double the labor. They said they had a hell of a time trying to get the old tire off the rim and the job took twice as long. B.S. flag!!!!!!!!!!!! Never been back there since.

Quick Reply: Starved Rock H-D - LIARS!