Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax for 99-01 Magneti Marelli EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Default ThunderMax for 99-01 Magneti Marelli EFI

Has anyone replaced their M&M ECM with one of these?

http://shop.thunder-max.com/shopexd.asp?id=288&bc=no

I have a hesitation if I crack the throttle too fast from bout 2000-2200 rpms but not if I move the throttle more slowly. Otherwise runs great and accelerates well in all ranges. I am waiting for a fuel filter, pump and lines. Bike has 58k and 20k since top end upgrades and dyno tune.

Last edited by DAVENRINO; 01-22-2018 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tjconnection (05-11-2020)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

No one?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Could the hesitation be fuel related?
Maybe something really simple like a piece of tank liner coming loose and resting on fuel sock filter causing fuel starvation at quick opening of throttle.
When you move the throttle slowly the slow movement allows time for flow to be maintained.
I will guess the symptom is new, was not present before upgrades and did not start after any upgrades and all gaskets around throttle body are good.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:05 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by im
Could the hesitation be fuel related?
Maybe something really simple like a piece of tank liner coming loose and resting on fuel sock filter causing fuel starvation at quick opening of throttle.
When you move the throttle slowly the slow movement allows time for flow to be maintained.
I will guess the symptom is new, was not present before upgrades and did not start after any upgrades and all gaskets around throttle body are good.
Thanks for the reply. Yes the hesitation has slowly gotten worse over time. I am starting with fuel. The pump filter and one hose arrived today so waiting on another submersible line before I pull the tank. I read somewhere bout spraying something (carb cleaner or brake cleaner) around the throttle body while it is running to check for intake leak, ie increased idle.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

All you need is to readjust your throttle position sensor. Your bike is running a little lean. It's a common problem with Fuel injected EVOs. Mine did that. I fattened it up and no more problems. Didn't cost a dime. There is a method on a youtube video on how to do it.

carl

Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by carlgrover
All you need is to readjust your throttle position sensor. Your bike is running a little lean. It's a common problem with Fuel injected EVOs. Mine did that. I fattened it up and no more problems. Didn't cost a dime. There is a method on a youtube video on how to do it.

carl
Thanks for the reply. The TPS adjustment is on my list of things to try and I did watch one of those videos a few days ago. I am going to do the tank internals first as they are original and 18 years old. The fuel filter should have been changed 8k ago. Actually it is not an EVO, but a TC88 with an S&S 97" kit.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:34 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

I bought the Fuel Pump Factory pump and it looked exactly like the one I took out including the filter sock. The Drag Specialties fuel filter also looked identical to stock and I used their pressure line to the check valve. Just got it done last night and the bike is running MUCH better in all ranges. There is still a slight hesitation sometimes with a quick throttle twist at 2000 rpms but barely noticeable. I am still going to try adjusting the TPS.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

No - I upgraded to Delphi closed loop.

Don't follow any of the base TP settings for EVOs - they were much fatter than TC88 like .275v.

There were also mis-prints in early literature. A good base TP setting for Twin cam like yours would be .195v

The following 2 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
DAVENRINO (03-15-2018), tjconnection (05-11-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 PM
joco90210
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
Has anyone replaced their M&M ECM with one of these?

http://shop.thunder-max.com/shopexd.asp?id=288&bc=no

I have a hesitation if I crack the throttle too fast from bout 2000-2200 rpms but not if I move the throttle more slowly. Otherwise runs great and accelerates well in all ranges. I am waiting for a fuel filter, pump and lines. Bike has 58k and 20k since top end upgrades and dyno tune.
At first it was just hesitation. Then today I was putting it through its paces and it was full on choking like it had sucked up the last drop of gas.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:48 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by joco90210
At first it was just hesitation. Then today I was putting it through its paces and it was full on choking like it had sucked up the last drop of gas.
It looks like you just joined and piggy-backed on an old thread.
If you are seeking assistance perhaps consider starting a new post.
Provide year, model, miles and any change from stock factory delivered.
Include when it last drove OK and when problem started.
A little history of ownership helps too.
We can not see bike so the more you describe the easier it is to understand and possibly provide a route of diagnosis or a resolution.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax for 99-01 Magneti Marelli EFI