Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Road King with a cold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Dfszme
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Road King with a cold...

Hi everybody, hopefully someone can help me out here, these forms have proven very helpful in the past. I ride a 2000 Road King Classic that has an issue that has gotten worse lately. First, it's a hard start and then when the idle is so low it doesn't want to stay running. I can give it gas while backing out of my driveway and it gets better a little bit as it warms up. But also while riding, when I find the sweet spot in the throttle to maintain my speed I can feel it sputtering a little bit, and if I downshift to slow down sometimes it'll backfire I've checked the plugs and they were dry and a buddy of mine said he thought it was running lean. I'm about to start taking apart the fuel injection system but I need to know what to look for or hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction any ideas or helpful thanks

Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Have you checked the 'air filter' ?...b.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:51 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Check the tps if u have a meter. Should be smooth . Mine went bad.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Details on symptoms are all well and good but details about the bike would probably be helpful too.
Mods done, tuner, carb or injected, maintaince done, milage, etc...

Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Dfszme
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've cleaned the air filter, added some injector cleaner to the fuel. I do have a meter. The bike has about 55,000 miles on her. No mods, she's stock with efi. And she's up to date on maintenance that I'm aware of

Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I also ride a 2000 Road King Classic. Mine is fuel-injected, not sure if yours is...

I had similar fueling issues beginning around 60k miles. I've had it serviced every 5,000 miles since new, and it had been completely trouble-free until the rough idle, hard-start, back-firing started. In the service manual, it calls for the fuel filter to be replaced at 50,000 miles, so I looked through my service invoices and no where was there a new fuel filter. If I didn't get billed, my shop didn't do it.

I bought a new filter and hoses and replaced the in-tank filter and hoses. The filter is in the gas tank with the fuel pump. It is not a difficult job, but a tedious PITA.

The fuel filter was indeed the problem for me. The engine pops right off for both cold or hot starts, and runs smooth across the rpm range.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:02 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
I also ride a 2000 Road King Classic. Mine is fuel-injected, not sure if yours is...

I had similar fueling issues beginning around 60k miles. I've had it serviced every 5,000 miles since new, and it had been completely trouble-free until the rough idle, hard-start, back-firing started. In the service manual, it calls for the fuel filter to be replaced at 50,000 miles, so I looked through my service invoices and no where was there a new fuel filter. If I didn't get billed, my shop didn't do it.

I bought a new filter and hoses and replaced the in-tank filter and hoses. The filter is in the gas tank with the fuel pump. It is not a difficult job, but a tedious PITA.

The fuel filter was indeed the problem for me. The engine pops right off for both cold or hot starts, and runs smooth across the rpm range.
+1, this is your problem OP, its a pain but needs to be done.

Ride safe!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

So where did you get that MM fuel filter that has been obsolete for some time now?

Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...i-morelli.html

Video in this link shows how to hook meter up. Don't need to ajust it unless you want but just move thottlle slow and watch to see if the reading is smooth and don't jump around. Looking close where it messes up when riding. It's a free check.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:27 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
So where did you get that MM fuel filter that has been obsolete for some time now?
Drag Specialties, Manufacturer Part Number 0707-0044.

Take a look for yourself. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/166...ies-gas-filter
Ride safe!

Quick Reply: 2000 Road King with a cold...