Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM
peterllo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I went from a Suzuki GS500F to a RK by happy happenstance. My co-worker bought one, loves it, rides to work so it kind of grew on me. The a family member decided after 5 years and 1500 miles with his RK he wasn't going to ride anymore and made me a sweetheart offer. It's a big jump up in size/weight but I did find the Forty-Eight and Street 750 to be closer cousins in the feel range to my GS and wanted something heavier especially since I still have the GS.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I've owned 4 RKs, 2 Ultras, and 1 SG trying to find that perfect ride. I'm close, I have an 07 RK and 14 Limited.

I was looking at trading the Limited for a RG Ultra because I've never owned one, but they don't come with heated grips. I've come to really like that feature. And it doesn't make sense, the hands on the RG are more exposed to the head wind.

Beary
Harley does all sorts of **** that doesn't make sense...But you
can always add heated grips after (or when) you buy it..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peterllo
Well I went from a Suzuki GS500F to a RK by happy happenstance. My co-worker bought one, loves it, rides to work so it kind of grew on me. The a family member decided after 5 years and 1500 miles with his RK he wasn't going to ride anymore and made me a sweetheart offer. It's a big jump up in size/weight but I did find the Forty-Eight and Street 750 to be closer cousins in the feel range to my GS and wanted something heavier especially since I still have the GS.
Good for you on moving up to a 'real' motorcycle...Now I suggest
that you (speaking from experience) go out and buy a 'ride like a
pro' DVD or something similar (I only recommend the ride like a
pro because that is what I bought and it helped immensely)..Once again
speaking from the point of view of someone that did exactly what you
did, i.e., went from a mid sized bike to a heavy bike, that you will
need some special training skills to handle the big bike that are different than mid size bikes...example being, that a mid size bike you can apply the front brake at slow speed to stop in a turn and use your feet to not drop it, with a heavy bike it is going down!!! there are a bunch of other things in the DVD that are also helpful ...Highly recommended even from a dude who has been riding for 40+ years...Get the DVD and go practice in the school lot etc., or better yet join the local HD group and practice with them for a few evenings..The big bike is soo much more comfortable to ride when you feel that you actually have a complete understanding on what it will and will not do in a given situation...

Old 03-15-2018, 11:04 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
Good for you on moving up to a 'real' motorcycle...Now I suggest
that you (speaking from experience) go out and buy a 'ride like a
pro' DVD or something similar (I only recommend the ride like a
pro because that is what I bought and it helped immensely)..Once again
speaking from the point of view of someone that did exactly what you
did, i.e., went from a mid sized bike to a heavy bike, that you will
need some special training skills to handle the big bike that are different than mid size bikes...example being, that a mid size bike you can apply the front brake at slow speed to stop in a turn and use your feet to not drop it, with a heavy bike it is going down!!! there are a bunch of other things in the DVD that are also helpful ...Highly recommended even from a dude who has been riding for 40+ years...Get the DVD and go practice in the school lot etc., or better yet join the local HD group and practice with them for a few evenings..The big bike is soo much more comfortable to ride when you feel that you actually have a complete understanding on what it will and will not do in a given situation...
Don't listen to him. Only thing you need to remember is "when in doubt, throttle out." You'll be fine

Old 04-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Skayy
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry. It´s an older post. Please, what seat du you have? Looks nice.

Thanks, Kai

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Here are two good reasons for a Roadking:

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (09-14-2020)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Bob Blehead
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
i am curious why people make the choice to buy a road-king vs a street glide or something else. i see a lot of folks on road kings and have to admit i see a few i really like. i am considering jumping up from a soft ail to a street glide, my main interest is in getting the wind protection, radio, and comfort as well as other creature comforts of the glide. i mean no disrespect to anyone's decisions, i'm just curious as to what aspects/features were the big selling points for you. thanks guys
Mostly the choice for a Road King is it's cheaper.

A new FLHX will set you back $21,289 for Black
A new FLHXS is $27,087 in Black
While an FLHR in Black is $19,289

Old 04-06-2019, 09:08 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts

It would be difficult to ride a Road King after being on a SGS for 3 years as good as the R/K looks , I don’t miss having just a windshield to block the elements off , getting spoiled to the extras of a touring bike is easy

Old 04-07-2019, 05:58 AM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I used to ride a Fatboy Lo, great bike, loved everything about it when I was alone on it. had a swing arm bag and a handle bar bag that was enough for awhile for what I needed . Now the wife wants to ride more with me and well that means more gear. So I moved up to a RK Special and now have the bags for her stuff and I find my Camera bag sits real well in it so I can take these great pics like everyone else when I find a spot. I also am not interested in the radio as of yet and other creature comforts of the higher bikes. Someday maybe but for now the windshield works for me and listening to the bike.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:29 AM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I like versatility of the RK I take my windshield off during the summer and enjoy the bike naked. I mount my tour pack and windshield when I go on longer trips or need the storage the wife like to ride in this configuration the best. I've got a nice suspension, the touring chassis, cruise control, ABS, heated grips, I get my GPS from my phone and tunes through my Sena in my helmet.

I've ridden the Street glide and Road Glide but I just don't want to give up the versatility and step down from my Road King. I've got everything I want and nothing I don't, I'm sure others disagree and that's fine. That's why they make so many different models there is something for nearly everyone to start with.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:10 AM
JRP267
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently ride a RG. Had a RK in 2012, wasn’t happy, went to a victory, hated the hand controls. Then went to a 2016 RK. Loved it, but a gal in a Honda Fit decided I should get another new bike. Got a 2017 RG. Miss my RK. It’s something about the open ride and the chrome nacelle that I love. Maybe a new RK or sport glide in 2020. Who knows.

Last edited by JRP267; 04-07-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: road king vs street glide vs softail or ?