Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Love 'em both...

Old 03-03-2018, 04:27 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I have only had two Harleys, I went from a Dyna wide glide to an 07 Road King Classic, then I tried to make a Dyna out of the Road King, and what I wound up with was a Harley Road King Custom Classic, or a Classic Custom, I don't know which one it is, but I sure do love it more than any other bike I have ever seen, even the new ones.

Last edited by 6 gun; 03-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Bonzo27524
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2010 Fat Boy Lo that I love-finally thinking about getting either a Street Glide or Road Glide (will be keeping the Fat Boy) but not sure which one to chose-going to ride them both. Am very torn with this decision making-I have a detachable windshield on the FB and love to ride without but would also like to have the radio, cruise control and storage of a Street Glide-would love to hear thoughts-thanks

Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jai yen yen
The Road King is lighter and you can pop the windshield off and enjoy the wind around town or slower roads and put it back on for the highway. I have a 2011 Road King Classic with a passenger seat I can pop off along with the windshield which is a great look as well. If you want to do long trips you can add a luggage rack with 4 point docking hardware and carry almost as much as an Ultra.
It really is a great versatile bike.
actually.... you should know.....the Road King is the heavier bike... by 2 pounds i think...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

If you dont want the trills bells and whistles the Road king is the ride for you priced nice great ride.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzo27524
...thinking about getting either a Street Glide or Road Glide... but not sure which one to chose ...would love to hear thoughts-thanks
......... this is a question that's been asked/debated for over a decade now
...... i'll just give ya my short answer
.......... get the Road Glide
.... others opinions may vary ...as my opinion may well be quite biased

Last edited by groupw; 03-05-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzo27524
I have a 2010 Fat Boy Lo that I love-finally thinking about getting either a Street Glide or Road Glide (will be keeping the Fat Boy) but not sure which one to chose-going to ride them both. Am very torn with this decision making-I have a detachable windshield on the FB and love to ride without but would also like to have the radio, cruise control and storage of a Street Glide-would love to hear thoughts-thanks
Try em' both and see which you like. They ride quite differently due to the differences in how the fairings are mounted. Most people like the SG because of the looks and how the fairing is a bit closer so all the doo dads are easier to reach. The funny thing is though......when those people ride a RG they (secretly) wish their SG's rode like a RG. The RG is a bit easier to maneuver and has a much better pocket of air when riding long distances. Honestly though......I personally would not get either one as I'm not a fairing guy. Love my King......

Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
actually.... you should know.....the Road King is the heavier bike... by 2 pounds i think...
how does that make any sense? What would cause a road king to be heavier than a bike with a radio, speakers, more gauges, more electronics, and the weight of the fairing and mounting hardware? I looked it up and confirmed that the 2018 Road King is 837 lbs and the 2018 Road Glide is 855 lbs, both are wet weight. That extra 20 lbs over the front fork makes the bike less nimble and slightly more difficult to control during low speed maneuvers.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
how does that make any sense? What would cause a road king to be heavier than a bike with a radio, speakers, more gauges, more electronics, and the weight of the fairing and mounting hardware? I looked it up and confirmed that the 2018 Road King is 837 lbs and the 2018 Road Glide is 855 lbs, both are wet weight. That extra 20 lbs over the front fork makes the bike less nimble and slightly more difficult to control during low speed maneuvers.
Was trying t figure that one out too. While the weight difference is not as much as I would have guessed....the RG is certainly heavier than the King. On a different note....The Street Glide is heavier than the RG....by a decent amount which actually surprises me.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM
03_FatBoy
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a Fatboy to an Ultra Classic, and could not be happier. I really thought about a RK, and love the look of them, never was a fairing guy. One day, a place I work at had an 09 Ultra Classic, I sat on it, and seen that the functionality of the Ultra Classic Fairing was rather good, and not near as bad as I had envisioned. I was going to buy the 09, but the place backed out on me, so I found a clean 03 Ultra Classic, so I pulled the trigger, and love it. The Batwing is great, the bike actually handles better than my 03 fatboy, maybe because it was lowered, I do not know, but the lean angle on the Ultra is great, as I am not a knee dragger, but it does lean pretty hard when I require it. I have not noticed it being any more difficult to handle at low speeds, except the first couple times I rode it, when I had a passenger. Just a little coaching to the passenger, and all is great. I do listen to the radio, and enjoy that, and I also use the cruise all the time. I would not mind having a RKC, but I will always have my Ultra Classic, and wish I would of bought one a long time ago.

Quick Reply: road king vs street glide vs softail or ?