Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I am either fortunate or stupid because I have a Road King and a street glide. I have had others in the past. On long trips I take the SG just because I have it set up for that. The GPS being integrated although I don't use it that much is one factor and the protection of the fairing on my hands and sleeves is another.

That being said if you made me give one up the SG is the first out of the door. The RK is a motorcycle. Unobstructed view of everything around you and you lose all the electronic crap. When I need a mental health ride I ALWAYS take the rk out.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

went from a Road King to a street glide last year.... loved the King, toured on it and around town.... just got to the point i didnt wanna take the shield off anymore.... so the glide was the logical choice.... never cared about a radio/bluetooth player.....but......now that i have it.... im a fan......love the Glide over my King.....

Old 03-02-2018, 11:41 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
well then...you guys all make excellent points. i think i will definitely have to demo a roadking before i make a decision. comfort is my main driver, i can use the phone for gps and radio. i hadn't thought about the lack of forward vision on a street glide. i really like the thought of swapping out parts easily. thanks to everyone for your great insights.
If comfort is your main driver, why are you limiting yourself to just the Road King and a Street Glide? Street Glide has less suspension travel and doesn't ride as good as the Road King. Sounds to me, especially if you plan riding two up, you should look into Electra Glide. That way you can have the fairing and the suspension.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I hate fairings so it was Road King for me. Blasting music going down the road doesn't appeal to me on any level

Old 03-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a FatBoy and a Road King. 2 totally different animals. The Fatty is awesome for tooling around town, bar hopping and the occasional 'long' ride'. When the little lady wants to go for a ride we jump on the King because 2-up riding is SO much better. Definitely better on long trips but still nimble enough to tool around town. The King is a great all around bike. I have a couple of bluetooth speakers for both bikes if I wanna listen to music and they work pretty well........although I love listening to the exhaust on the Fatty. I say get 2.......best of both worlds!! Awesome deals to be had out there!!!!

Old 03-02-2018, 02:35 PM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

I love the look of the Street Glide but just didn't need all the extra electronics. As stated by others, they are two different units but I enjoy both the softail and the king.
Thought a little about selling the softail but realize it's only worth so much at this point. Rode it twice this week after sitting a while the last couple months and decided
she should just stay.
Depending on what your riding consists of any of the three are fine machines. If I were going to two up it would be on a touring model.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks for the welcome. i was mostly curious why folks choose the roadking over the glides
The Road King is lighter and you can pop the windshield off and enjoy the wind around town or slower roads and put it back on for the highway. I have a 2011 Road King Classic with a passenger seat I can pop off along with the windshield which is a great look as well. If you want to do long trips you can add a luggage rack with 4 point docking hardware and carry almost as much as an Ultra.
It really is a great versatile bike.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM
moefoties
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I started on a Softail Deluxe and have ridden the Road King, Street Glide, and Road Glide. If I were made of money, I'd buy a brand new Road Glide - they ride like a dream and I love the wide open feeling of the huge fairing and dash in front of me. I also love the dumb little things like the dual glove compartments. And I actually really like the look of the new Glides...used to hate the shark, but it really grew on me with the new models!

I also really liked the Street Glide, but wasn't so big on the closeness of the fairing. I always thought I really NEEDED the music, and I do, but I've found I actually prefer to wear headphones, so the NEED for a Street Glide or Road Glide isn't nagging at me so much anymore. Besides, actually hearing the music wasn't working so well at freeway speeds!

I ended up with a 2005 Road King Classic because I bought it from my father-in-law for a fair price, it has low miles, and it's been well maintained. I love the versatility of the King - when I see a bike, I see an art project. For me, the King was the best canvas while trying to remain budget-conscious!

All that being said, I loved my Deluxe, but I wanted something better for 2-up riding, and something with a little more long-haul comfort.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

thanks for the welcome. i was mostly curious why folks choose the roadking over the glides
Well, for me, the RK does everything I want out of motorcycle, so after bouncing around among an FXR, a Dyna, 3 Softails, & 5 Touring models, I'm back on my 3rd RK. Nothing against the fairing models, and I've owned both styles, but the RK does what I need it to do. Plus, I think its one of the better looking models, lol. Most of my rides are day rides of 300 miles or less. I only take one long trip of 4000-5000 miles every year or two. RK does fine for me with both types of rides. If I did a lot of long trips several times a year, I'd probably go back to a fairing style bike.

I haven't priced out the new models, but since you want wind protection, a radio & a better ride than your Softail, I'm guessing the SG would be more practical then a buying a RK & adding a radio/speakers. Imo, the SG doesn't have the best ride of the Touring models, especially if riding two up, but that's just me.

Good luck & ride safe!

Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I have had them all, couple of Sportys, Nightrain, Heritage Softail Classic, Deluxe, Ultra Classic, Ultra Limited, Streetglide and Road King. When I owned batwing bikes I always owned a second bike...a Softail or Sporty. Finally decided I dont need 2 bikes and all the responsibilities that go with 2 so I sold my Sporty and Streetglide and went to a 2014 CVO Road King. I like to travel so I bought the detachable tourpak and use a detachable windshield and soft lowers. I also have a sissybar for local 2-up riding. When soloing around town I can take the passenger pillion off too. The Road King is the perfect Harley IMHO. Its like having 2 bikes without the hassle of owning 2 bikes. Build it up for touring amd strip it down for local rides. It looks like a clean and classic motorcycle. I never loved the batwings and hate the look of lowers so the Road King suits my tastes. It handles and rides better than the Softails and is more nimble and light than Batwing bikes. To me, its the best of all worlds. I use my phone for GPS and dont like listening to the radio when riding.

Attached Thumbnails road king vs street glide vs softail or ?-73c194fb-bcf1-48c9-b0e5-8c534766587f.jpeg   road king vs street glide vs softail or ?-865025f6-2fcb-4d00-b075-7710f5259e9c.jpeg  

Last edited by stratplexi; 03-03-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: road king vs street glide vs softail or ?