Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king vs street glide vs softail or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a Road King Custom for ten years and just recently switched to a Street Glide. Both bikes are really nice. The Road King Custom didn't come stock with a windshield, so after adding a quick release windshield, it was a pretty nice platform. It actually provided better wind protection than the batwing fairing of the Street Glide. I love the looks of the Street Glide and that's why I switched. I really don't need the stereo or navigation. I don't think you will go wrong either way you decide. Just decide which one tugs at your heartstrings the most.

Attached Thumbnails road king vs street glide vs softail or ?-2011-06-11_09-32-42_774.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,017 Likes on 3,613 Posts

I test rode RK, SG and UG. Went with the RK because I can make it what I want . With the right windshield ( height and curve) and fork fangs ( wind deflectors for each fork) wind protection is great. I can add a tour pack if I want. The RK comes with almost and inch more suspension travel.I don't need or want a stereo for rides, and my phone is a great GPS when placed into the mount I got. That said,if your into doing long distance trips, a proper fairing that's found on the other models might suit you better.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I am already at my space limit in terms of motorcycles. So when choosing a new bike I needed one that could multitask. No touring bike is better at that than a Road King. It can go from a stripped down cruiser to a two up tourer very quickly and easily. And with my windshield mounted stereo system, the last perk of that fairing bikes vanished. During the summertime I truly enjoy stripping her down and putting around. And loaded up she's an outstanding long hauler. But this is just my opinion. Final choice on model is deeply personal. All we can do is share our experiences.

Attached Thumbnails road king vs street glide vs softail or ?-20170402_120306.jpg   road king vs street glide vs softail or ?-20170506_132753.jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,142 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
I think it all comes down to personal opinions. For me (and ONLY me!!), there is a point where you lose the motorcycle aspect of the sport. My thoughts (and ONLY my thoughts) are that some of the "tech" bikes with radios, GPS, etc take away from the thrill of riding and you may as well be in a cage. The Roadking seems to be a compromise to me with the comfort and protection I want and still be a classic motorcycle.

In case I didn't mention it, this is only MY opinion...
Not just your opinion - mine too.

My Road King is everything I want and nothing that I don't. I can (and do) take off the shield for wind in my face in the summer, or put on the shield, luggage rack, and rider backrest to take off on a 10 day, 3,000 mile trip. Briefly last fall I was considering upgrading to an M8. One of the local dealers had a demo day and I road a Street Glide, Road Glide, and Ultra along with a couple of the new Softails. They were nice, and I can see why people like them, but the radio and screen was just a distraction for me. I know it can be turned off, but you can't (easily) just take off the fairing off of a Street Glide or Ultra. One day I might change my mind and decide I need a fairing and radio/GPS, but for now I am happy with my King.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Re softail vs touring, I wanted the better suspension of touring and hard bags for convenient storage and had decided to go for function over form this time round. I test drove RK and SG back to back before I bought a RK. Was not at all impressed with the batwing, but that's just me and I would imagine an aftermarket screen on one would have reduced the buffeting. I ended up replacing stock RK windshield with clearview -2" recurve (~$100 US), and have been very pleased with comfort for my height of 5' 9" and easily looking over screen feels to me more like a motorcycle experience should. I put those ugly *** wind deflector "fangs" on the front, and it is so crazy good at cutting wind now I can't imagine needing lowers--though both compromise appearance in my opinion--feels almost like I could light up a cigarette at 70 mph on the highway. I did end up removing the small curved deflector I had between the forks after installing fangs due to slightly increased engine temps at lower speeds/warmer days and heat on my legs. Stereo would be nice, but I don't mind using some comfortable earbuds with phone when in the mood for some tunes.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

My road king classic(2003), may be a lot older than those here, however I have a buddy who has a 2010 ultra classic. I have ridden both and the road king is far easier to maneuver and handle. His big dresser is great for long runs in a straight line and comfortable to the point of being boring. I like a little wind in my face and I don't need a radio, gps, cup holder and Bluetooth. I have checked out the 17 street glide Canadian anniversary bike and I love the look and feel, but it like the big decker's is front and top heavy. Just my two cents. Always liked the King. Hale to the King baby.

randy

Last edited by cajun1957a; 01-16-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

I think the Road King is the most versatile bike that Harley makes. It’s everything that the Heritage is, but more comfortable. I went from a Road King to a Street Glide for the exact reasons you stated. The GPS, stereo, wind protection, which I actually think is better on the Road King. For me the Street Glide is a better experience. No unplugging, or stripping things off the bars every time I stop.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

All three fairing/windshield types of touring bikes ride pretty similar. Choose the one that gives you the biggest smile when you walk up to it in the parking lot. The rest you can adjust to suit your needs very easily.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM
dwl25
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok, things I haven't seen mentioned ore that with the SG You can't see through the fairing down to the ground, something I've been able to do all my life. I find it disconcerting although I feel I could adapt to it over time. (I find it useful in parking lots and in the garage etc.)

The other thing is cost. RK can be had for thousands less than a SG. Let's see, pay more for shorter shocks ( no big deal to me I'm tall) fewer guards but you gain a radio and GPS. For me buy a Garmin (works where phones don't) and wireless blutooth earbuds and save thousands and you don't have to fight HD's buggy infotainment system.

The biggy for me though is not seeing thru the fairing at lo speeds.

I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
cory464
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

well then...you guys all make excellent points. i think i will definitely have to demo a roadking before i make a decision. comfort is my main driver, i can use the phone for gps and radio. i hadn't thought about the lack of forward vision on a street glide. i really like the thought of swapping out parts easily. thanks to everyone for your great insights.

Quick Reply: road king vs street glide vs softail or ?