Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird shit after stereo install....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018 | 08:20 PM
Smash
|
Tourer
Default Weird **** after stereo install....

Ok guys, I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I installed a Sony stereo in my '13 SG last time I was home from deployment. I rode it a bunch then with no problems.

When I came back home this time, I rode my bike, and I started having some issues. When I got on it hard, the bike would cut out really bad, back fire, and the stereo would cut off. Eventually the stereo completely died. After the stereo died, the bike ran fine.

I rode it home, took the fairing off and checked all my fuses. Fuses were all good. I unplugged the power connector and plugged it back in. Stereo came back on, but when I started the motor, and rev it the stereo cuts off and the bike cuts out, then starts to idle really high.

The trouble codes are as follows:
Tachometer: B1 006 HIST
Accessory Line Overvoltage
Instruments
Tachometer: B1 007 HIST
Ignition LIne Overvoltage
Instruments
Speedometer: B1 006 HIST
Accessory Line Overvoltage
Instruments

I'm putting this in the Stereo section too.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice so I don't have to ride all the way to Amarillo tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2018 | 10:00 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

How did you supply power to it? Is it run through the ignition module? I’d have to look at my wiring diagram but you could be overloading the ignition module...or the ignition switch...whatever it’s called. Disconnect and wire it to another power source or that does not run through the ignition.

Last edited by SnoRider; 01-09-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2018 | 11:03 PM
Smash
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by SnoRider
How did you supply power to it? Is it run through the ignition module? I’d have to look at my wiring diagram but you could be overloading the ignition module...or the ignition switch...whatever it’s called. Disconnect and wire it to another power source or that does not run through the ignition.
It should be powered the same way a stock stereo is powered. I used the Scosch interface which sits between the bike and the stereo. It is an adapter to plug in an aftermarket stereo and still have handle bar controls.

Old 01-10-2018 | 08:14 AM
jefla
Road Master

Check your ground. Best to run a dedicated ground from the electronics to a frame ground. On my 09, a ground is provided on the front of the upper triple tree. The HU will have a threaded hole in the back for such grounds.

Old 01-10-2018 | 11:55 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Overvoltage codes are often related to the voltage regulator failing. It can start out as an intermittent problem. Mine did.
I'd suggest doing the charging system checks in the stickies in the electrical section.
It could be that the radio is a symptom, not a cause.

The following 2 users liked this post by ORradtech:
mctraveler (01-10-2018), SnoRider (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018 | 03:57 PM
Smash
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Overvoltage codes are often related to the voltage regulator failing. It can start out as an intermittent problem. Mine did.
I'd suggest doing the charging system checks in the stickies in the electrical section.
It could be that the radio is a symptom, not a cause.
Well, my gauge is swinging around a lot. I wondered about that. I'll do the checks in the stickies and see if I can figure it out.

I did move my ground from the top of my fork to the top front of the triple tree. No bueno.

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:10 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Another vote for regulator and/or charging system issue. Nothing you did in your stereo would create an over voltage. When the regulator goes out, it can do some crazy things.

My guess also is that your stereo has internal protection, is seeing the over voltage as well, and tripping an internal circuit breaker. That's why it comes on when you unplug it, the circuit breaker resets itself.

Any chance when you came back, was the batter dead and you jumped it off. Jump starting can fry a charging system in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I know that from experience.

Good luck and thanks for your service!!

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:21 PM
Smash
|
Tourer

Well...I'm a fckn idiot. I started to test the voltage regulator, And the bike completely died. Nothing. So I checked all my fuses....all good. I'm sitting there..thinking, the only reason the bike would be dead is if a fuse was blown, or the battery was unhooked. I looked down..and my positive terminal was loose as fck. Jesus....

Tightened it up and it works perfect. I went ahead and tested the voltage regulator. It's good.

Oh well....every experience is a learning experience, right?

Thanks for all the replies

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:32 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

Awesome!
Love that ending

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:32 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

I would suggest you go over to the Audio section of the forum. There are some guys over there that have seen it all, and can fix anything. Really.

Not knowing what you've added because you simply stated that you added a "Sony system". Does that include a new amp? Did you just replace the head unit? If you added an amp, or even a high powered HU, you absolutely need to run a dedicated 8 or 10 gauge with inline fuse directly from the battery. You are messing with your bike's electronics if you don't do this.

I'm no M/C audio expert but I did recently put a new high powered amp and Sony HU in my 2007 Ultra and it is running and sounding terrific. But I did alot of research on the Audio forum and got lots of great advice from the boyz over there. Trust me when I tell you that some of them are the best dudes on this Forum.

Just saw you found the problem as I was posting. Glad you found the problem but you should still run a dedicated heavy gauge wire directly from the battery if you've added any power (higher amps) to the system.

Last edited by danzio; 01-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smash (01-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Weird shit after stereo install....