Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID dual headlamp kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Sportster2uclassic
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID dual headlamp kit

I know that the Harley HID headlamp kit is expensive. Just curious if anyone has it installed. How do you like it?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Sheep
Tourer
Default RE: HID dual headlamp kit

ORIGINAL: Sportster2uclassic

I know that the Harley HID headlamp kit is expensive. Just curious if anyone has it installed. How do you like it?
I like it. I'd like it better if it was both low and high.

Now if I could just get it aimed correctly. Way to low and its up at the limit of the adjustment.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

You can save a few bucks by getting the HD dual bulb with the standard halogen bulbs and then do a retro to an HID bulb kit from someone like
http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=10

I did that lastyear. Very happy with its output. I never use the high beam anymore. Not that it did much. Only 35 watts.[:'(]I swapped that for the old low beam bulb which is 55 watts. Not much better.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want to light up the road at night you'll really like the HD Dual HID headlight. The low beam lights up the road from side to sideextremely well and the high beam is simply awesome. The low beam really is nice going around corners on dark country roads, it allows you to see the road (and what's on both sides of the road)so much better than stock- in fact, you can't even compare it to stock. The high beam lights up the road at least 2X the distance of stock. Every once in a while I will get high beamed from oncoming vehicles that think my low beam is the high beam...it's that bright. When I am following someone in staggard formation the rider and bikein front of me look like they are in a bath of light. To me it was worth spending the $$$.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 AM
mrhlynnu
5th Gear

Guilty,

Do you have any photos?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:45 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrhlynnu

Guilty,

Do you have any photos?
This is my new 'face'.

Although intended for much more recent models than mine, I have successfully fitted one to my 1990 FLHS, which proved to be a remarkably straight-forward fit, although I had to modify the wiring to get it to work.

The brilliance of the HID light is quite something to behold, a staggeringly blue-white light, but while the beam is very wide angle it is also very shallow in depth, when projected onto the road. As a daytime notice light it seems to grab attention.

Driving in the dark, however is not much fun, as the dip beam cut-off is very sharp, the contrast with the darkness above it giving the sensation of looking out under a dark curtain. The light is very intense, giving excellent visibility of anything daft enough to get caught by it.

Main beam is a strange thing, being a very tight, oddly shaped pattern, which adds relatively little extra to the dip pattern, not helped by being comparatively yellow – not very satisfactory, in my view, even after replacing the original bulb with a Xenon ‘blue’ one, to improve it! Travelling at speed along a winding dark unlit road is not much fun.

Both standard headlight bulbs are a modest 35 watts each, emphasising the efficiency of the HID unit, but also leaving me wanting a much higher output main. I have just bought a 100 watt version which I have yet to fit.

Modern technology is all well and good, but comes at a hefty price, especially as in some ways it falls short of an ordinary headlamp for beam shapes. I hesitate to recommend fitting one!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36102/0C3D982DFDA84A52BEF04628F7485187.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for a couple years now. I really like it. Had the issue with alignment and modified the upper spring now all is fine.

Don't use the hi-beam. That is only good if your on a "totally" dark road, I mean zero street lighting or houses or even city lights radiating into the sky. Then it shoots a beam so far out in front of you its not funny. But then again, its only 35watts in a H-8 base halogen. You can't find a larger watter with another base thats the same as the plug, except the H-9 is close and may need some modification. H-8 is something that is used as a driving lamp sort of in europe. Figures that H-D chose that so no one could modifiy it, and keep from roasting any of the factory wiring harness..

If you were to upgrade the H-D HID to higher watter hi-beam IMO its worth the effort to intall a relay.

Over all, the HID is great, but in the future I'd go with one of the H-4 hi/lo models.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had mine now for 2 years and love it! I only use the high beam to open the garage door now.
There is an upgrade to install an HID bulb in the hi beam spot. Don't think its worth it though.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser

If you slightly modify the base of an H11 you can upgrade to 55 watts and brighten the hi beam quite a bit. -- Tom

Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I am in Europe!

I have never come across H8 bulbs before and had problems finding any sizeother than 35watt, but eventually found some 100watt. I have several winter projects and fitting that is down the list somewhere! I have a Xenon blue 35watt in at present, but it didn't improve main beam much.

Quick Reply: HID dual headlamp kit