Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID dual headlamp kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
maxflhx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID dual headlamp kit

I just got back from my first nighttime ride with it and I like it. Took a while to get it adjusted correctly, the HD tec had it pointing at the ground 3 feet in front of the wheel. Plenty brightbut does have some odd dark spots, nothing I didn't get used to quick. Lots of light at the sides and throwsa brightbeam way out in front.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: grbrown

ORIGINAL: mrhlynnu

Guilty,

Do you have any photos?
This is my new 'face'.

Although intended for much more recent models than mine, I have successfully fitted one to my 1990 FLHS, which proved to be a remarkably straight-forward fit, although I had to modify the wiring to get it to work.

The brilliance of the HID light is quite something to behold, a staggeringly blue-white light, but while the beam is very wide angle it is also very shallow in depth, when projected onto the road. As a daytime notice light it seems to grab attention.

Driving in the dark, however is not much fun, as the dip beam cut-off is very sharp, the contrast with the darkness above it giving the sensation of looking out under a dark curtain. The light is very intense, giving excellent visibility of anything daft enough to get caught by it.

Main beam is a strange thing, being a very tight, oddly shaped pattern, which adds relatively little extra to the dip pattern, not helped by being comparatively yellow – not very satisfactory, in my view, even after replacing the original bulb with a Xenon ‘blue’ one, to improve it! Travelling at speed along a winding dark unlit road is not much fun.

Both standard headlight bulbs are a modest 35 watts each, emphasising the efficiency of the HID unit, but also leaving me wanting a much higher output main. I have just bought a 100 watt version which I have yet to fit.

Modern technology is all well and good, but comes at a hefty price, especially as in some ways it falls short of an ordinary headlamp for beam shapes. I hesitate to recommend fitting one!

grbrown - I think you have a set of Halogen bulbs and not HID. Please check it for yourself. You need a Ballast to up the voltage to 22K Volts to ignite the Zeon gas. Go [here] and you must have something like this. You get fooled by the scam artists, be careful. There is no such thing as a 100 watt HID. They draw only 2.7 amps.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HID on my 2008 RKC. I haven't adjusted it for my weight yet so I think the low beam points too low. I like it. I also have the H-D fog lights. Needless to say the road is well lit ahead of me. I get a lot of light flashes from oncoming cars. Haven't figured out if it's because of the headlamp or the foglamps. I'm not concerned because it means I'm being seen.

I also have the rider and passenger footboard lamps. They work well with my Pacific Blue Pearl bike.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

What are floorboard lamps?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
rome304
Road Warrior

does'nt fit the harley look imo.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

I bought the Eltro-Glo lights for my rider and passenger footboards. They put a nice red glow on the ground at night. When not used, the passenger lights add additional lighting to the side. I think the kits work well with my Pacific Blue Pearl. Here are the part numbers.

Part #s: 50743-04, 50541-03.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
roadglidedude
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about using HID's on a FLTR?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I put HID on all of my bikes. They are Hi-Lo beam. Can not be beat.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ddm makes a nice set up ..

Cheap too

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one of these on a Fatboy and never liked it. It would leave a wall of black out front with the low beam. I adjusted and adjusted it and never was right. I finally took it out and it went on Ebay

Quick Reply: HID dual headlamp kit