Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:25 PM
dmhosting
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Questions

1) Does anyone know if Zanotti's carries the SERT? I put the Part # in on their website but didn't get anything back.

2) Are there maps out there that you can program it by or do you have to manually tune it? I currently have a PCIII, how does it compare to this as far as programming it?

3) What are the pro's & con's about having a SERT?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT Questions

Current SERT consist of a 1) CD that has the instructions and operating system plus canned maps for HD parts installed e.g. SE II, SE AC, etc., and different model engine combinations, 2) and interface box that marries itself to the bikes ECU/VIN and cannot be used on another bike.
This interface box hooks between the laptop and the bike when installing the selected map.

SERT does allow you to modify any map.

Appears SERT is onnation-wide backorder, probably waiting until the '08 models come out.Once available, any HD dealer can sell it to you. this includes the discounters like Zannotti, Chicago HD, Hales, etc.

Everyone willgive you their opinion asto which is better (SERT, PCIII, etc) sohere we go again with everyonesopinion.

SERT is not an add-on to the bike, like a PC III or DFO is. The SERT simply reprograms the ECU of the bike.

SERT likelyis more tunable that other systems, but is also a bit more difficult to understandall the settings that can be done by the novice tuner, as opposed to other systems.

I personally like it better since itis capable of tuning the bike either with canned maps or building a custom map, plus it is not an add-on, which in other systems is something else that can fail.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
dmhosting
Advanced

Thanks Gman..

I have the V&H Oval Slip-Ons and the K&N Air Cleaner Kit. Would there be a download out there that would work with this setup or would I have to custom build this? I wasn't sure if Harley had aftermarket parts you could select to "build" your map or if you had to manually do it.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

there is not a map provide to fit your exact parts. You can select one that is close, say one that has SE IIs and an SE AC. I did just that, but still felt the rear cylinder was too lean. took the bike and my SERT interface to the dyno and had them build me a custom map. I didn't have time to spend tuning it, so left it to the dyno guy instead.

have heard of some folks selecting a map for a bigger engine, e.g. 103 ci. from the list of provided maps with success. Either way, IMHO if you have a '07 that runs lean, check the plugs (especially on the rear cylinder) to see if the engine is running lean (a white chalky appearance of the electrodes).

Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Harleynole
Tourer

Dealerships are now recieving the SERT's that were on backorder. However, the three in the Southeast that I have spoken with will not sell one over the counter. I was told I must purchase my pipes and have the install done at the dealership and then they would sell the SERT to me.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

that's a rip-off by the dealer. i'd check around a bit more. i know they are in short supply and these dealers are putting it to you. I'd check Zannottis, chicago HD, M&M cycle and Hale's. certianly wouldn't give those dealers a dime of my $.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
dmhosting
Advanced

Sounds like you can do a little more tuning with the SERT vs PC III. I will check with the discount dealers to see if they are selling them yet and may go ahead and order it. I know what you mean about some of these dealers though, I wouldn't give them my $$$ either.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Just picked up my SERT today, had to wait 6 weeks. There is another source for purchasing maps. You can got to www.hdmaps.com and purchase one for $69. They have maps for several aftermarket exhausts available.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 PM
redneckremi
Cruiser

I just got a SERT over the counter here in CO Springs this weekend. The stealer said I could still put on my pipes and SE A/C b4 I get to the shop for the 1K service, SERT intall and dyno for the SERT. Sound like you have a real stealer on your hands. Remi

Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

As understand it SERT is basically a set of cables, a black box and a CD. If you want to use maps suppled by HD, a simple rider with a bit of computer expertise should be able to download those maps to the bike. Dyno required for fine tuning....

Missing anything?

Quick Reply: SERT Questions