Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control ads, whats up

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Mo.Rob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cruise control ads, whats up

All the ads say " simply install new controls and module" most everyone on the forum say its not a very easy install. what gives? are we talking about the same product. I like to do things myself if at all possible because of the distance to the dealership and time involved sitting on my butt waiting for the bike to get done. But I dont want to get in over my head either. Is it as simple as pluging in this module and putting on new controls, or is it more involved than this? give it to me straight I can take it. thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: cruise control ads, whats up

Although I can't speak from personal experience about the installation - you shouldn't have any trouble if you can replace the controls - that's the hardest thig to do imho. The control module bolts into place - I believe the battery comes out - and the cable has its own receptacle in the throttle body. I assume we're talking about a fairly modern touring bike. I bet you can handle it.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ezzzeeee,mostly fun. read sm few times,read searches,and be patient. Piece of cake.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

I installed cruise on my Street Glide , I would not say it "easy" but it is not a very hard job. I would recommend having a service manual because the Harley instructions that come with it are really bad and leave out the lash adjustment procedure, if I recall. I would be happy to help if you get stuck and need some help.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:35 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aye just do IT

Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I did my own as well, its realy not too bad to do, read the instructions a couple of times, and then just dig in. Its a good project, and a great addition to the bike!

Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Mo.Rob
Tourer

Thanks for the input. I feel pretty good about this now. I feel like if I can put a hydrostat drive belt on my john deere mower I can do dang near anything (ha ha). Im going to buy a book which I need anyways and just go for it. Thanks alot

Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just put the HD factory cruise on my 04 EGC and it was simple just takes time but the EGC comes wired to accept this unit so that makes it doable. It works like a million bucks you'll love it.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just jump in with both feet - take your time & Getter' Done

Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mo.Rob

All the ads say " simply install new controls and module" most everyone on the forum say its not a very easy install. what gives? are we talking about the same product. I like to do things myself if at all possible because of the distance to the dealership and time involved sitting on my butt waiting for the bike to get done. But I dont want to get in over my head either. Is it as simple as pluging in this module and putting on new controls, or is it more involved than this? give it to me straight I can take it. thanks
Well, I'll count myself among the "it was a PITA" group, if there are other members. If I had to do it over again I could do it with little ado, and the problems I had could've been mitigated by clearer instructions. As hd2007 said, the initialization procedure is not outlined in the instructions, and requires a service manual, which anyone even thinking about doing anything with these bikes should have anyway. The problems I had were (1) losing a brass ferrule for the throttle cable and needing to drive to the HD shop for another, (2) new switch panel didn't want to install to the handlebars properly, and (3) pin assignments for the switch were not in the instructions. They were in the CC section of the manual (red wire goes on pin 5, etc.), but there was no illustration of where these pins were in the harness and the harness wasn't marked! That info was found by searching in the electrical section, a process eating up about 30 min. All they had to do was put a simple illustration in the instructions. These three problems ate up 1.5 hours for me, prolonging an already fairly lengthy process.

There are some detailed descriptions of the install procedure in earlier threads, so it would be a good idea to read all of these and become acquainted with them before starting. Then go to the HD shop and buy two extra brass ferrules, as once unleashed the ones on your bike disappear into thin air.

Quick Reply: cruise control ads, whats up