Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control ads, whats up

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cruise control ads, whats up

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Mo.Rob

All the ads say " simply install new controls and module" most everyone on the forum say its not a very easy install. what gives? are we talking about the same product. I like to do things myself if at all possible because of the distance to the dealership and time involved sitting on my butt waiting for the bike to get done. But I dont want to get in over my head either. Is it as simple as pluging in this module and putting on new controls, or is it more involved than this? give it to me straight I can take it. thanks
Well, I'll count myself among the "it was a PITA" group, if there are other members. If I had to do it over again I could do it with little ado, and the problems I had could've been mitigated by clearer instructions. As hd2007 said, the initialization procedure is not outlined in the instructions, and requires a service manual, which anyone even thinking about doing anything with these bikes should have anyway. The problems I had were (1) losing a brass ferrule for the throttle cable and needing to drive to the HD shop for another, (2) new switch panel didn't want to install to the handlebars properly, and (3) pin assignments for the switch were not in the instructions. They were in the CC section of the manual (red wire goes on pin 5, etc.), but there was no illustration of where these pins were in the harness and the harness wasn't marked! That info was found by searching in the electrical section, a process eating up about 30 min. All they had to do was put a simple illustration in the instructions. These three problems ate up 1.5 hours for me, prolonging an already fairly lengthy process.

There are some detailed descriptions of the install procedure in earlier threads, so it would be a good idea to read all of these and become acquainted with them before starting. Then go to the HD shop and buy two extra brass ferrules, as once unleashed the ones on your bike disappear into thin air.
Add me to the PITA group.
Started at 3 in the afternoon, figured it would take 3 hours. Keep in mind this is my first HD and I had to refer to the Service Manual to take the seat and saddle bags off.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one to drop a ferrule. It was a miracle that I found it. Not including time to find lost parts, eat dinner or take my son's friend home at night (welcome breaks), it took over 6 hours to do because I kept having to look in the manaul to find every nut and screw I needed to remove. Didn't finish until after mid-nite and could not test ride the bike until the next day. Too many rookie mistakes for someone who has been wrenching for decades.
Would I do it again. ABSOLUTELY!!! Works like a charm. If you know your bike and those Multiplex connectors it could probably be done ina couple hours.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I did my own this past October. It is a time consuming job, but not bad at all. Block out a day for it and it would help to have a service manual nearby. The ignition switch removal is a PITA, but nothing you can't handle.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Lucky_one2
Tourer

Not Easy... but very doable. I learned quite a bit about the ignition switch... my only real hang-up but I did have a service manual and the help of people in this forum.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick
...(1) losing a brass ferrule for the throttle cable and needing to drive to the HD shop for another, ...
I can see I wont have that problem.