Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TriBar light on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default TriBar light on a Road King

Let’s get this out of the way: Sorry for the lengthy post. I’ve searched and searched and everything with pictures comes up with the photobucket image hosting error. (I’m a visual guy)

I’m trying to hook up a tribar light I got from a forum member here to my king. My bike has the turn signal bar/integrated tag light if this matters. The tribar light p/n is 5859370. The member stated it came from a 12 FLHX and all seems good there. I know there’s a different light with the wire built in that plugs in behind the brake light. (I don’t have this one)

I ordered the pigtail jumper wiring harness to plug into the input side p/n 68828-10. I’m aware this plug should plug into the tour pack harness under the left side panel. My bike does not have this.

I’ve pulled the molex connectors out of the Deutsch connector and started looking at the service manual for electrical connection points. Found the correct wires for brake, run, ground. Tried hooking these wires to the brake light connectors under my seat and found the light illuminates and acts as a tail light, but no matter what combination of wires I connect with the brake lever pulled in, this light does not brighten up as a brake light.

I was under the impression the post 2010 FLHX tribar lights acted as running and brake lights. I’ve been wrong about things before, this won’t be a first.

Can someone guide me in the right direction to hook this up correctly? Or tell someone with a Street glide tell me if the light isn’t supposed to be a brake light and I’m wasting my time and I need to just come to terms with it as a marker light.
Thanks for reading and thanks for the help.

Last edited by Almostinvincible119; 01-05-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

My 2016 light was only a running light, not brake also. I don't have an experience with the older ones though.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:40 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,003 Likes on 12,902 Posts

would any of the Custom Dynamics products work for you?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:05 PM
FL-FLSTC
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As 24V has already mentioned, the stock tri-bar light functions only as a running light. And as 6113 referred to, many have upgraded to the dual tri-bar light from Custom Dynamics shown below that functions as a brake and running light. Lots of lighting options out there from many vendors.

https://www.customdynamics.com/vehic...ribars/tribars.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,299 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119

Can someone guide me in the right direction to hook this up correctly? Or tell someone with a Street glide tell me if the light isn’t supposed to be a brake light and I’m wasting my time and I need to just come to terms with it as a marker light.
you're wasting your time. this light is not supposed to act as a brake light. unless you add the run/turn/brake module from hd in. (i have a experience with a 2010 and a 2012 to back this up. both have had the rtb module added to add this functionality.)

custom dynamics has one to replace the hd light that is much brighter. the hd is lacking in leds, i think it has 4?

Last edited by skratch; 01-06-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:11 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you're wasting your time. this light is not supposed to act as a brake light. unless you add the run/turn/brake module from hd in. (i have a experience with a 2010 and a 2012 to back this up. both have had the rtb module added to add this functionality.)

custom dynamics has one to replace the hd light that is much brighter. the hd is lacking in leds, i think it has 4?
For $5 you can make the tribar a running and brake light. rtb module is not required.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...brake-led.html

Old 01-07-2018, 01:50 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

My 2013 EGC has a similar rear fender marker light that only is a run light. There are after market replacements that do both run and brake but I moved the feed wire so now acts as brake light and is off for run. Used the service manual to determine which to move but it was at connection under tail light.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you're wasting your time. this light is not supposed to act as a brake light. unless you add the run/turn/brake module from hd in. (i have a experience with a 2010 and a 2012 to back this up. both have had the rtb module added to add this functionality
I have the RBT module installed for my existing lights, and tried wiring my tribar from that module connector back and still only get a running light from the tribar. I’m fine if that’s all I’m gonna get, I dropped $40 on the cord so I’m probably going to just run it stock for now and may upgrade the light in the future.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

HD #67774-10 is combo brake and tail light if someone wants combo light

Old 01-08-2018, 02:50 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
Let’s get this out of the way: Sorry for the lengthy post. I’ve searched and searched and everything with pictures comes up with the photobucket image hosting error. (I’m a visual guy)

I’m trying to hook up a tribar light I got from a forum member here to my king. My bike has the turn signal bar/integrated tag light if this matters. The tribar light p/n is 5859370. The member stated it came from a 12 FLHX and all seems good there. I know there’s a different light with the wire built in that plugs in behind the brake light. (I don’t have this one)

I ordered the pigtail jumper wiring harness to plug into the input side p/n 68828-10. I’m aware this plug should plug into the tour pack harness under the left side panel. My bike does not have this.

I’ve pulled the molex connectors out of the Deutsch connector and started looking at the service manual for electrical connection points. Found the correct wires for brake, run, ground. Tried hooking these wires to the brake light connectors under my seat and found the light illuminates and acts as a tail light, but no matter what combination of wires I connect with the brake lever pulled in, this light does not brighten up as a brake light.

I was under the impression the post 2010 FLHX tribar lights acted as running and brake lights. I’ve been wrong about things before, this won’t be a first.

Sorry if I am miss reading what your trying to do ... here is a link on what I did. I think this might be what your after ... I have pictures posted and then on post 12 I have parts list with some tips.

Click here

Last edited by RCCola45; 01-08-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: adding link