Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:59 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts
Default LED Headlight not functioning properly

I posted this in electrical, but there is much more traffic here:

I have a 2013 FLHTK with TruckLite headlight and passing lamps and Custom Dynamics turn signals, tourpack lighting and tail light. I've had everything for about for 3 years. I haven't installed anything else recently.

The headlight recently started "strobe lighting" and eventually staying on high beams. It goes randomly from low to strobe and only high beams in no particular order all while the switch in low position. It does not do this when the light is plugged into the high and low beams separately. Only with everything plugged in.

I plugged in a halogen bulb and it works fine. The LED quit operating the Harley garage door opener that is ten years old. The halogen operates it just fine. In preparation of sending in the light for warranty I ordered the Sunpie Daymaker to have a light as this is my daily driver. The Sunpie does not operate the garage door opener, but the halogen bulb operates it. It's hard to tell, but I think the Sunpie high beam has a very small flicker when lows are on, but is hardly noticeable. The high beam indicator is not coming on when the low beam is selected as with the TruckLite. There is no strobe lighting. I am suspicious as to why the Sunpie is not operating the door opener.

I took the light and plugged it into another bike and it works. Still, only halogen bulbs work properly. I also disconnected the garage door transmitter with the same results. I am assuming it has something to do with the hi-beam wire?

Hopefully, i am detailed enough. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-02-2018, 04:12 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My garage door opener will work when no light is connected. It has nothing to do with the light itself. Have you hooked the led to just a battery to see if it will work?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

For both of those issues you will need a particular diode for the headlight your are using, My company sells Headlights as well and we have to provide a DIODE for certain models to stop electronic feedback and smooth out the signal. If you cant get answers from your headlights manufacturer let me know and Ill get the specs on the Diodes we use inline.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 01-02-2018, 04:18 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
My garage door opener will work when no light is connected. It has nothing to do with the light itself. Have you hooked the led to just a battery to see if it will work?
Opener is wired into the headlights so only works when a light is plugged in. I did not hook directly to the battery since it works on another bike.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:25 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
If you cant get answers from your headlights manufacturer let me know and Ill get the specs on the Diodes we use inline.
I'm sent

Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I found the problem. I have been out to sea a lot (Navy) so troubleshooting has been delayed. It turns out that one of the wires from the switch was loose from the crimp. Not sure what the previous owner did, but all of the wires were cut and crimped together. I am removing all of the crimps and soldering everything to make it much cleaner and secure. Bought the bike in 2014 with 5K miles.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:12 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,779 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Glad you found the issue! Thanks for your service.

As you are doing, it is best to solder vs. crimp connections on a motorcycle. But, crimping can be reliable if done properly, and then hestshrunk tightly.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Good find man! Glad you found it! I've been running TL 7's on the last 3 bikes AND my Jeep and love them. I was hoping that your issue was not with the lights themselves. And as others have said and you have already done, solder wins out over crimps for sure.