Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help changing from stock HD tail lights to CVO Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 PM
criyi
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help changing from stock HD tail lights to CVO Taillights

I have a 2010 Street Glide. Got the new CVO taillights and a wiring harness from Jarz seen here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jarz-Produc...53.m2749.l2649

The harness connectors fit right into everything perfect but when I turn the lights on they seem to be in braking mode (very bright). Turn signals from either side barely light when they flash a couple times then they all blink fast at the same intensity. The brake light is nothing more than a stutter in the lights from front brake and rear brake. If I remove the CVO lights and harness and connect stock again everything works great. Do you think this is the harness and if so is there anything I can do to fix this? The CVO lights are HD lights.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

seems odd that they would charge $129 for the harness when you could have bought the one that comes in the genuine hd kit for about 1/2 of that.

if you send me your email address, i can forward you a copy of the wiring diagram for my 2013 cvo road glide.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 PM
criyi
Tourer

Pm sent. I was thinking since I'm going from stock to LED maybe some kind of load manager is needed. Not sure if its built in to this harness

Old 12-31-2017, 11:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

no, it isn't. but you shouldn't need a load equalizer if you still have the incandescents in the front. if you changed out the front bulbs to led, then yes, you would.

in stock form, the cvo comes with leds in the rear, incandescents in the front. it worked fine until i switched the front to the custom dynamics dynamic ringz. then i would get the fast flashing, but not the symptoms like you described.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM
criyi
Tourer

Mine is a 2010 so it has incandescent's in the rear as well. I get a couple normal flashes then it goes into fast flash but thats really secondary to me. Not real safe if the rear LED's are on bright and barely flicker when I stop or use the turn signal.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

yeah, after you make the switch to the cvo style lights, your bike should be just like the cvo in stock form. incandescents in the front, leds in the rear.

hope that wiring diagram helps you out. it was over 2mb, so if your email provider kicks it back, let me know, i'll try to compress it, but that'll reduce the quality. sent it last night so you should have it.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:09 PM
criyi
Tourer

Got it, thanks a lot!

Old 12-31-2017, 07:44 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
seems odd that they would charge $129 for the harness when you could have bought the one that comes in the genuine hd kit for about 1/2 of that.

That makes my stomach turn just reading that

Old 01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
criyi
Tourer

Harness returned and credited. It was not for genuine HD CVO lights but rather another aftermarket tail lights. Purchased the HD harness, $81 with firefighter discount. On order and should arrive in a few days

Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

good deal. what was the part number you ordered? i looked in the instructions for the lights and there were two part numbers that both came up at $66 and some change. wanna see if i was looking at the wrong one.

Quick Reply: Help changing from stock HD tail lights to CVO Taillights