Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather apparel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 PM
17VelRed
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold weather apparel...

I haven't searched through all the forum's topics, so I apologize for being lazy. I'm in pretty good shape for cold weather riding but I never have solved the puzzle of the proper gloves. Too big/thick, you can't feel the controls and too thin, obviously don't tend to work as well. Coming in last night from out of state, I spent about the last 100 miles in around 21 degree weather alternating my hands on the back jug of the engine to get my hands warm while go 80 down the TurnPike. . I didn't really want to get involved with the heated handgrips (but not totally against them). At the moment I'm using a Thinsulate inner with just your basic outer shell. Mostly they work well enough but I'm trying to come up with something a little better.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

You ever try the Hot Toes hand warmers with the adhesive on the back of them? I have put them in my winter riding gloves before, on the backs of my hands, prior to getting heated grips.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,757 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Take a look at the gloves that ice fishermen use...

Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,336 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Buy heated grips & heated gloves. If money is an issue, buy some cheap snowmobile gloves and then get the small chem hand warmers. Those go in the little pockets on the back of the snowmobile gloves.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:52 PM
17VelRed
Advanced

Man, that helps out a lot. I appreciate all the info. In times past, when my back was bothering me (Hardtail ShovelHead, I don't know why my back would have been bothering me), I've used those patches you stick on your back and they heat up and stay in place. Never crossed my mind about the ice fishing/snowmobile gloves. Wasn't aware of the and the Hot Toes either. That will get me closer to staying a bit more comfortable. I appreciate all the helpful, very useful information. I'll get to looking at all those options after work. Be safe everyone.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:30 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by 17VelRed
Man, that helps out a lot. I appreciate all the info. In times past, when my back was bothering me (Hardtail ShovelHead, I don't know why my back would have been bothering me), I've used those patches you stick on your back and they heat up and stay in place. Never crossed my mind about the ice fishing/snowmobile gloves. Wasn't aware of the and the Hot Toes either. That will get me closer to staying a bit more comfortable. I appreciate all the helpful, very useful information. I'll get to looking at all those options after work. Be safe everyone.

These are the ones I've used in my gloves, as well as my boots.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 282 Likes on 147 Posts

I bought heated gloves that plug into the heated jacket from cycle gear, 3 levels of heat, better than heated grips and numb fingers.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:44 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a heated jacket and gloves. I carry several packages of HotHands in a saddlebag as a backup.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:44 PM
17VelRed
Advanced

Been doing some reading about cold weather riding and they actually suggest the vest first. They explained how the body tries to save the heat to the organs and takes away from the extremities i.e. hands/feet. Evidently you can "plug" these things into your bike or use batteries. I wondered what the "cigarette lighter" style DC plug was for in the fairing, now I know. I think I'm going to start w/the hot hands style of warmers. They appear to basically the same things I stick on my back when I forget I'm not 25 anymore (as if I ever think that in any capacity). Going to look after work to hunt down some of these things and try them out, right after I get my oil changed.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:53 PM
17VelRed
Advanced

I like the Hot Hands in the saddlebag idea. Very smart. I'm going to get these things and use/stash them as well. Take a look at the vest/gloves later on tonight to see what they have. If I could have a few less layers, it would help me move a bit better. Think I may look at a full faced helmet. Had one but no longer. Never wear a helmet ( I'm not the smartest person in the room, even when I'm alone) but they aren't too bad in the winter. Got me a list of items to look into and predict warmer riding in the very near future. Appreciation to all.

Quick Reply: Cold weather apparel...