Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lowering an Ultra

OK, anybody lower their Ultra? Did it help handling? What did you use and what is the cost? How much did you lower it?
I know, lots of questions.
Just want good info before I spend a bunch of money with little or no benefits.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Rodent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lowering an Ultra

Heres a couple of questions I always have about lowering a bike. How does reducing your ride height and decreasing ground clearance improve handling? I scrape enough as it is at the stock height, so how is this beneficial? I'll admit it looks cool, but I'd rather not trade peformance for looks.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:08 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As Bob said. It would only be done for looks or seat height. Not for handling. It would degrade your handling, not improve it.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Road Toad

OK, anybody lower their Ultra? Did it help handling? What did you use and what is the cost? How much did you lower it?
I know, lots of questions.
Just want good info before I spend a bunch of money with little or no benefits.
I always lower my FL models. Last time was with the Burley kit. Costs about 100 bucks and it drops the rear about 1-1/2". It doesn't affect the handling enough for me to really notice it in the twisties. My main goal is to get my feet flat on the ground and to give me more leverage when backing. I've done one Ultra, one Road King and two RoadGlides. Never touch the front suspension.
The Burley kit is a good one. You'll need to have a Dremel tool or die-grinder handy to smooth the ridge on the rear portion of the frame where the two peices clamp together for a true, solid fit. Not a big deal to accomplish.....one removes just a smidgeon of material for a perfect fit. Many of my friends have done the same thing. No worries and it works. Very solid.
Your other choice is a shock replacement. Most use a Progressive shock and they come in many lengths. Buy the Heavy Duty if you go that way.

Hope I helped!

Old 06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Will look into that Burly kit. Looks like what I am looking for. I would think a lower center of gravity would be a good thing, and I don't hit the turns that fast on my Ultra, so a little lower wouldn't hurt me there. Just make it easier for the wife to get on and off and better leg distance for me.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an Ultra but a Standard,and I have the detachable tourpak. I switched to Progressive 412 shocks, 12" vs the stock 13". I don't notice any difference in the handling. If I had to do it over I'd go with the heavy duty springs instead of the standard springs. I ride with them cranked all the way up. At any setting the ride is better than stock, but at the lower settings it seemed to bottom out on some of the really harsh freeway bumps.