Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilting Motor Works on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017 | 06:11 PM
roysclockgun
|
Intermediate
Default Tilting Motor Works on a Harley?

Good evening group,
I am considering this conversion for my HD.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

At age 75 I am enjoying my motorcycle, as does my lady. However, I can feel that the time is coming where the weight of the bike and two up is going to cause me problems at very low speeds and/or stopping and starting.

I do not want a traditional trike. No flames. Everyone should ride what they like.

The tilting three wheeler appears to be the answer for me. However, they have not been around long enough to have many critiques.

Has anyone experienced one of these on the road?

Best,
Steven A,

Old 12-08-2017 | 06:34 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Have not seen your item in question. There is also an automatic "landing gear", sort of like training wheels that automatically retract above a low speed and automatically extend when nearing a stop. They support the scooter when stopped or at very low speed but when retracted the machine banks into turns as we are all accustomed to. Might be another alternative.

Old 12-08-2017 | 06:41 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

I rode a 1800 Goldwing last year at Bikes, Blues and BBQ. Took it out on winding roads and the Hiway. I Liked the how it rode. Better than a traditional trike with 2 wheels in the rear. Better than a Spyder also.When I have to go to 3 wheels, I'd choose this. It wasn't that brand but similar.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 12-08-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2017 | 08:01 PM
Cold Fusion
1st Gear

No experience with these.
However, I can tell you that we bought a Spyder RTS 3 years ago when I started getting wobbly at the stop lights. Bride loves it. Her words, “Comfortable, relaxing. Definitely two wheels in the front.

And I bought a road king for when I’m solo.

Maybe the factory can arrange for a drive. You would have to fly to Seattle, rent a car, drive ~50 miles north. Once out of Seattle, and off of I-5, it is countryside, nice area. Call them, twist their arm - hard. Tell them you are willing toly 4000miles, they can cough up a machine.

If they had a conversion for the spyder (it has a reverse), I would consider it - But I would definitely want to ride one first to see if there were sufficient benefits over the non-tilting.

I’ll definitely be interested in what you find out.

Interestingly there are some hi-tech machining companies in the area. For example, Murphy Aircraft is close, they have some nice CNC stuff. Wouldn’t be surprised is they are one of the machined parts suppliers.

Interesting Note:
I occasionally get questioned on why did I buy one of “those”: Generally have one of two responses:
”Well, if you understand why a dog wants to stick it’s head out of the window, then you get it. If not, then you don’t.”

Or

”Don’t get old and you won’t have to find out.”

carl

Old 12-08-2017 | 08:04 PM
Cold Fusion
1st Gear

Hmt -
What brand was it?

Old 12-08-2017 | 08:46 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Harley Davidson had a patent on just such a design, I am sure the concept would work.

https://thekneeslider.com/harley-dav...t-application/

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:38 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain

A friend of mine has this on a 2016 CVO Street Glide and loves it. Says that it handles and corners great.
Kind of spendy though.

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:46 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

They had a booth at the Sturgis rally this year. Maybe they will show up at Daytona next spring...

The following users liked this post:
Notgrownup (12-13-2017)
Old 12-09-2017 | 12:41 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'm hitting 70 this month, and it's time for a third wheel for me too, but I'm going with a sidecar for my Road Glide. I've had a lot of fun with sidecars before, so it's really not much of a downside for me. Tried a trike once, didn't like it.

That tilting front end looks interesting, but I'd want to take a test ride on one before I spent that kind of money.

Old 12-09-2017 | 01:16 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

I don't have any experience with TMW, but this guy does

Quick Reply: Tilting Motor Works on a Harley?