Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink Garage Door Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017 | 05:06 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer
Default Homelink Garage Door Remote Install

I have two different brands of garage door openers (Craftsman & Genie) so the few universal remotes I bought would not work with both openers. The Homelink remotes in my vehicles did so I bought a cheap one on eBay. I like the idea of using power from the bike for the remote since it is 12v. My initial testing at the battery proved successful. Is there an unused power/ground source under the fairing of my 2009 FLHTCU? I have heard of a connection for use in European countries but is on all baggers or maybe I am confusing that with something else.

Last edited by ssgunny; 12-06-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Edit title.
Old 12-06-2017 | 07:34 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Power is available in several places in the faring. Probably the easiest place for constant power is the cigarette lighter.
What homelink did you buy and where are you planning to mount it?

Old 12-06-2017 | 07:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

The connection I believe you are talking about is the unused connector on the headlamp wiring loom. I use it to power my Garmin

Old 12-06-2017 | 11:02 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Power is available in several places in the faring. Probably the easiest place for constant power is the cigarette lighter.
What homelink did you buy and where are you planning to mount it?
The Homelink is capable of rolling codes and has a manufacture date of 8/16/99. I overlooked that location for power. Thanks for the suggestion. I want to mount it in the fairing but extend the buttons externally. I have an aftermarket radio so am wondering if I could use the unused CB hand controls (SQ-,PTT,SQ+) as the controller.

Originally Posted by dawg
The connection I believe you are talking about is the unused connector on the headlamp wiring loom. I use it to power my Garmin
I will consider this. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2017 | 08:12 AM
merlin 2
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

check the wire drawings in the back of your service manual . there are several

Old 12-07-2017 | 08:20 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
\\
This is the one to use, it has a switched hot and ground, easy to find right by the headlight, has terminals already installed.

Old 12-07-2017 | 08:26 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
\\
This is the one to use, it has a switched hot and ground, easy to find right by the headlight, has terminals already installed.
Generally home ink systems are always on, not switched.

Old 12-07-2017 | 10:13 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ssgunny
The Homelink is capable of rolling codes and has a manufacture date of 8/16/99. I overlooked that location for power. Thanks for the suggestion. I want to mount it in the fairing but extend the buttons externally. I have an aftermarket radio so am wondering if I could use the unused CB hand controls (SQ-,PTT,SQ+) as the controller.
Yes, that can be done but it's not for the faint of heart.
You have to locate the correct connector in the faring identify the wires you need then remove thosr wires from the connector. You cannot just tap into them. If memory serves, you cannot disconnect all of the wires either. Some of them serve as circuits for other functions.
I was able to use the PTT button to activate a standard door opener but the heat in the faring would affect the opener so I just went to an opener in a windshield bag. Simpler and works better
I used an aftermarket remote with rolling codes that could open 3 different things.

Old 12-07-2017 | 12:25 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Generally home ink systems are always on, not switched.
Depnds on the vehicle. Our Honda Odyssey is always on and our BMW 328 is switched.

Old 12-07-2017 | 01:30 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Depnds on the vehicle. Our Honda Odyssey is always on and our BMW 328 is switched.
Ahhh, I've yet to see a switched one. The last 5 of mine have all been always on, 5 different brands too.
Wonder how many are switched?

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door Install