Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink Garage Door Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017 | 08:59 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Yes, that can be done but it's not for the faint of heart.
You have to locate the correct connector in the faring identify the wires you need then remove thosr wires from the connector. You cannot just tap into them. If memory serves, you cannot disconnect all of the wires either. Some of them serve as circuits for other functions.
I was able to use the PTT button to activate a standard door opener but the heat in the faring would affect the opener so I just went to an opener in a windshield bag. Simpler and works better
I used an aftermarket remote with rolling codes that could open 3 different things.
thanks for the feedback. I have the service manual and electrical manual so will attempt to hunt down the correct wires. I figured they would be in the second connector that is not used when an aftermarket radio is installed.

Old 12-20-2017 | 07:50 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Up visiting my dad and getting the wires soldered to the base of the first two switches. We hooked up a 12v dc power supply and found the connections were good when shorting the added wires. Next step is to find the 12v power source in the wiring of the headlight bundle and tap into the an unused handlebar control.
[img]webkit-fake-url://48b4f259-9ba7-4910-a586-b7644caa0133/imagejpeg[/img]
[img]webkit-fake-url://f60675ac-f177-4c70-908a-164111cd2ff7/imagejpeg[/img]​​​​​​​

Old 12-21-2017 | 08:46 AM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Here are the pics since I could not post them from my phone.

Soldering connections.

Soldering completed.

Old 12-21-2017 | 12:26 PM
Fred_HD
Novice
Cool Joking

Somebody never worked on telephones Bumble Bees and Christmas Trees Black and Yellow and red and Green.......LoL

Old 12-21-2017 | 03:49 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

This is 26 gauge wire but yes guilty as charged as I have wired up many c-blocks and terminated them to many 66 blocks, j-1077's and j-2317's back in the day.

Old 01-03-2018 | 09:59 PM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
The connection I believe you are talking about is the unused connector on the headlamp wiring loom. I use it to power my Garmin
I am going to open the fairing up tomorrow. What type of connector(s) is/are used on this unused connector? I would like to use connector(s) to interface with the power and ground lead vise splicing.Plus maybe using a small rated inline fuse would be advised? The Homelink unit wouldn’t draw a lot so something small just incase?Thanks,John

Old 01-04-2018 | 07:02 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I am going to open the fairing up tomorrow. What type of connector(s) is/are used on this unused connector? I would like to use connector(s) to interface with the power and ground lead vise splicing.Plus maybe using a small rated inline fuse would be advised? The Homelink unit wouldn’t draw a lot so something small just incase?Thanks,John
In my 07 fairing the connectors are standard male/female disconnects. Easy to find at any hardware store. I see no need for a fuse.

The following users liked this post:
ssgunny (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018 | 03:22 AM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by nvsteve
In my 07 fairing the connectors are standard male/female disconnects. Easy to find at any hardware store. I see no need for a fuse.
Thanks, I had some male spade connectors on hand and they worked out great! I skipped the install of an inline fuse like you suggested.

Old 01-05-2018 | 03:53 AM
ssgunny
|
Tourer

I opened up the fairing and moved forward with the install of the Homelink remote.

Found the the power connection I wanted to use in the headlight wiring bundle and tested it out.

Mounted the homelink in the fairing with the 3M heavy duty velcro.

This is the connector to the right of the radio that I would pull the wires from to use the PTT switch.

Molex MX150 (I believe) male connector. I removed pins 13 violet/black, 14 orange/black, and 8 brown/black. I used a small needle nose to pull up on the inside plate to unlock it and a jewelers screw driver in to the holes of the wires I wanted to remove. Pin 11 gray/green is the wire used with the SQ+ function of the switch that I didn't use.

Violet/black is a common wire used by all three SQ-/PTT/SQ+ so I had to find the right combination of combining two wires on the violet/black. Yellow and red from the Homelink ended up being those two wires.

Here is the finished project. I will have to see tomorrow how well it works with the fairing on. It worked well in the garage with the fairing off so time will tell. I am very happy as there was no splicing or cutting done to the factory wiring.

Last edited by ssgunny; 01-05-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2018 | 09:49 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

I did the mod with a waterproof starter switch from eBay very cheap but nice and wired it up to my garage door button installed it in my fairing works nice there’s a post on making here just do a search you’ll find it.

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door Install