Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to use synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007 | 10:43 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: When to use synthetic

I changed all three holes using HD syn3. I've heard from a few locals that HD syn3 is crap andwill cause my clutches toburn and score. Any truth to this? Thanks!

Old 06-17-2007 | 11:25 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

The parts guy at the local HD shop says he is an oil freak and he tells me that the Harley syn is junk. It is supplied by the lowest bidder. He said he has seen major engine damage on some bikes that have used HD syn3. Maybe it is true about the low bidder but I have to believe that the oil has to be at least usable. I would venture to say that the guys that have had major damage probably had other problems or pushed the oil way past its limits. T.

Old 06-17-2007 | 12:02 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Synthetic oil is not too slick. If it were, the engine would not generate heat. The rings are seated at the factory these days when the bike is put on the dyno before it gets crated. The engine tolerances are so tight/exacting that the rings are seated before we get it. If synthetic was "too slick" then why are the Screaming Eagle bikes packed with synthetics? Why are Corvettes, BMW's Audi's, Caddy's and high end/high performance vehicles packed with it? If the "too slick" rule were to apply, all these cars/bikes would be in the shops constantly for bad rings/seats/gaskets.

It isn't true, go with synthetic as soon as you like