Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes

Looking for people who my have had the same "issue" as me. What windshield did you end up with?

2016 Limited Ultra. Top of stock 10" windshield was at eye level. Had to make my self shorter in the seat, or taller. Got a Harley 12" because I prefer to look THROUGH it rather than over it. Perfect. Just what I wanted, but I had a reflection of the fuel door right in the center of the windshield. Not dangerous, just annoying. Had the fuel door powder coated black, and it helps.

I've recently had a couple people recommend looking OVER a recurve. They said I won't have any wind or bug issues. I'm seriously considering a recurve rather than the HD shields. I'm also 99% solo when I ride.

I want to be able to use my 3-pouch windshield pouches too. I heard I may not be able to use it with some windshields. Looked up Freedom, and kinda like it since it's a little wider. Rather than call a company trying to sell it's own products, thought I'd try to get some unbiased 3rd party recommends.

Anybody ever been in my shoes? Make a recommendation for me.

--- 10" was annoying. Eye level. Maybe 8" recurve?
--- What company?
--- Want to use 3-pouch windshield pockets
--- Something shaped to eliminate reflection of fuel door.

Thanks for straight answers, and opinions!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm using the stock clear windshield on my Ultra now. I wanted to like the 8" LRS recurve with the medium tint but it shook the crap out of my head/helmet at anything over 55 mph. I sold it. It looked cool though but didn't work for me. I'm 5'11 with the stock seat fyi.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

I use a 9" medium tint recurve by LRS and have a 3 bag pouch as well. Not easy to see here but it works great. Im 6' 2 and look over the top on stock 2013 Classic seat. No wind issues but also have fork fangs

Attached Thumbnails Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes-screenshot_2017-12-05-09-41-52.png   Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes-screenshot_2017-12-05-09-46-08.png  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 AM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through all the same issues. I have a 2012 Ultra Limited and I'm 5' 11".

I didn't like looking through or over the stock windshield (I believe it was 12" or 14"). I also didn't like how the rain would bead up at the top of the shield and blow right in my face.

I ended up with the 8" LSR recurve with dark tint. The recurve puts the wind just over my head and I obviously look over this on which I like much better. When they had a sale I upgraded to the same shield in polycarbonate.

Wind will always be a problem (its a motorcycle). I've used this shield for 5 years now with no regrets. I've done iron butts and other long distance touring with it. For long distance I use a full face helmet that helps with the wind noise and rain. Most of my local riding is done with a half helmet with sunglasses.

I've been stuck in the rain with both helmets and was able to manage.

Hope this helps

PS. A 9" or 10" would probably be OK too. You'll still be looking over it but may put the wind a little bit higher over your head. The 9" recurve pictured in the post above looks. not too short not too high. Oh and I also use my three pouch bag with the 8".

Last edited by BillinSC; 12-05-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 AM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm also using a 9" recurve from LRS with a 3-pouch bag. I'm 6'3". I like it, though I prefer the look of a shorter shield. Mine is a dark tint and I notice that I'm always looking over the shield until I get to about 20' in front of the bike

Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

lrs will let you 'try' the windshield, if you don't remove the plastic, you can return it. same with freedom shields. probably a couple others as well.

personally, i've heard great things about freedom shields, but have never used them. i have used lrs, and have never had to return a shield to them.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Been using an LRS recurve since about a week after I bought my '12 Limited. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam.... the LRS 8" recurve flat top is the ticket for me.

I can see over it which I prefer, or duck below it in very heavy rain....

LRS has exceptional service and their prices are pretty good too.

I recently bought a 7"recurve flat top because I lowered my '12's seat, and a 16" recurve for my '03 Heritage. They were backordered.... LRS contacted me on the scheduled ship date to apologize for an additional delay. They offered an upgrade for free... certainly not expected or asked for... just offered up because they missed their self-imposed ship date...

Pretty good customer service and a stand-up company if you ask me.....

Old 12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

LRS Ultra Recurve, 9" - Medium Tint
Using the Harley Rushmore 3-pocket pouch

The following users liked this post:
slcea (01-02-2018)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

I use the LRS 9" dark tint Ultra Elite, 5' 10" and look over the top.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I use the 8" Freedom Shield, darkest they offer, on my '14 TK. At 5'10", I am looking well over it but can still ride with a ball cap at 60mph+.

The following users liked this post:
slcea (01-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Choose My Windshield For Me. Looking For People Who've Been In My Shoes